Using repeaters

Mielratel

Question

Hello. Beginner here. I had a question about using repeaters. I'm currently using 2 wouxon kg905's and can hit repeaters in my area of Los Angeles and San bernardino.  Now my question is how come I can't hear myself  speaking on the second handheld? Thanks in advance. 

3 answers to this question

Hello. Beginner here. I had a question about using repeaters. I'm currently using 2 wouxon kg905's and can hit repeaters in my area of Los Angeles and San bernardino.  Now my question is how come I can't hear myself  speaking on the second handheld? Thanks in advance. 

That is called “desense”. The radio that is transmitting, although transmitting on a different frequency, is actually desensitizing the receiving radio thus rendering it incapable of extracting the desired signal. It is the same effect you and your eyes suffer when you look in the direction of a bright light. Suddenly your eyes cannot make out the detail of the less bright items around you until the bright light is gone.

The better the receiver design is within the radio the less it is affected by this.

As Skyline said, put some space between the radios so the off-frequency transmitting radio is “less bright” to your receiving radio.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM