Using repeaters with TYT TH-9800

Guest Plug Nickel

Guest Plug Nickel

Hello,

Recently purchased a TYT TH-9800, purchased a FCC license for GMRS, and was setting up GMRS channels for local repeater access but I ran into a problem / question.

This radio will only allow one DCS codec per channel, so how would I have a different TRX / RX codec for the repeaters?

Hopefully this is a stupid question.

Thanks

I am not a TYT owner. A quick look through the manual I found online leaves me thinking the radio does not support split tones. It appears you have two opens. A common tone for Tx and Rx (or a tone for Tx and none for receive. For DCS specifically, it looks like there are options to invert the DCS on Tx, Rx or both, but again I do not see an option to use independent codes for Tx and Rx.

Perhaps an experienced user of your model will jump in to confirm.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Guest Plug Nickel

Thanks Michael,

It's a bit of a pain, but I guess if the squelch breaking gets too annoying, I could use the right side of the radio for listening with channels set to use the RX codec and the left side for transmitting with the TX codec.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:48 AM, Guest Plug Nickel said:

Thanks Michael,

It's a bit of a pain, but I guess if the squelch breaking gets too annoying, I could use the right side of the radio for listening with channels set to use the RX codec and the left side for transmitting with the TX codec.

Did you ever figure this out by chance or did using the right side for rx and left for tx work? I'm looking to do this on mine in the near future for a local repeater myself. 

• 1 year later...