Hello from Florida

Floriduh

Hi.

Just wanted to introduce myself. Just got my GMRS license, WRNX626, a few days ago.

Been reading forums, websites, radio reviews, etc. ever since. I really like this website and forum and I am looking to learn as much as I can.

It all started a few years ago. My mom, almost 80 years old, lives close to us, but since she is right next to Lake Toho her cell service is hit and miss. We've done phone upgrades but it still goes out for hours at a time. Not all the time, but we like to be able to reach each other in case of emergencies. I knew it was a 5 mile drive to her house but when I looked at Google maps I noticed it was only about 2 miles as the crow flies. Suburban/Rural area.

So, I thought I would give GMRS a try. Plus, I might have some fun with it, right?

Our other attempt will be to take them on cruises. My wife and I have 7 cruises booked for the next couple of years. I am reading UHF radios would work best but it is worth a try.

Still looking at radios. The BTech V1's and 50X1 are jumping out to me as a solid place to start. Any thoughts?

We live in Kissimmee, FL.

Well, that's enough intro for now. Look forward to talking to y'all.

Tim

Welcome Tim.

GMRS/FRS is a viable solution for your situation. A small mobile unit set up as a base station at your home with an attic antenna would guarantee communications between the two houses. A 20 to 25W mobile is all that's needed (actually 5 watts on an attic antenna would probably work). Midland makes a 15W unit that would be perfect. Look on Amazon for a small 12V DC power supply with at least 15A of output and you're golden for the base. A J-Pole antenna is what I'd use, there are several different ones available. Here's one made from copper pipe rather from twin-lead plastic cable: 462 MHz Land Mobile (GMRS) J-Pole Antenna - KB9VBR Antennas (jpole-antenna.com)

13 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Welcome Tim.

GMRS/FRS is a viable solution for your situation. A small mobile unit set up as a base station at your home with an attic antenna would guarantee communications between the two houses. A 20 to 25W mobile is all that's needed (actually 5 watts on an attic antenna would probably work). Midland makes a 15W unit that would be perfect. Look on Amazon for a small 12V DC power supply with at least 15A of output and you're golden for the base. A J-Pole antenna is what I'd use, there are several different ones available. Here's one made from copper pipe rather from twin-lead plastic cable: 462 MHz Land Mobile (GMRS) J-Pole Antenna - KB9VBR Antennas (jpole-antenna.com)

Just looked at the reviews for that antenna. Looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip.

Which connector type should I choose?

4 hours ago, Floriduh said:

Still looking at radios. The BTech V1's and 50X1 are jumping out to me as a solid place to start. Any thoughts?

Only major complaint I have with the 50x1 (and btechs in general) is their method of locking it down, which gives you the base 30 channels, and anything you add beyond that is Rx only...so no adding extra repeater channels that can tx. 

If you aren't trying to use more than one repeater on the same channel, with different tones, it's a non issue.

9 hours ago, Floriduh said:

Before you opt for the V1, take a look at the Baofeng UV-9G, Tidradio TD-H5 / Pofung P15UV / Radioddity GM-30
 (all three are basically the same radio), Retevis GMRS handheld radios (they have several models at <$50), and the Wouxon GMRS handheld radios.

I believe the V1 has lower power output, but costs more than the others (except the Wouxons).

4 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Only major complaint I have with the 50x1 (and btechs in general) is their method of locking it down, which gives you the base 30 channels, and anything you add beyond that is Rx only...so no adding extra repeater channels that can tx. 

If you aren't trying to use more than one repeater on the same channel, with different tones, it's a non issue.

For a mobile/base rig, there are some other options that cost less than the 50x1. The Anytone AT-779UV (also sold by Retevis and Radioddity) is selling on Amazon for about $100 currently. It's rated at 20W nominal, but also allows programming of additional repeater channels. It's a pretty decent radio that competes with Midland radios in this price range, but pretty much distances itself from the Midland mobile radios with a much wider feature set.

Another mobile you might want to consider is the Wouxon KG-XS20G. It's a little more than twice the price of the Anytone, but a bit less than the BTech (last I checked at least). It's received some good feedback from those that have used it.

54 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

Before you opt for the V1, take a look at the Baofeng UV-9G, Tidradio TD-H5 / Pofung P15UV / Radioddity GM-30
 (all three are basically the same radio), Retevis GMRS handheld radios (they have several models at <$50), and the Wouxon GMRS handheld radios.

I believe the V1 has lower power output, but costs more than the others (except the Wouxons).

For a mobile/base rig, there are some other options that cost less than the 50x1. The Anytone AT-779UV (also sold by Retevis and Radioddity) is selling on Amazon for about $100 currently. It's rated at 20W nominal, but also allows programming of additional repeater channels. It's a pretty decent radio that competes with Midland radios in this price range, but pretty much distances itself from the Midland mobile radios with a much wider feature set.

Another mobile you might want to consider is the Wouxon KG-XS20G. It's a little more than twice the price of the Anytone, but a bit less than the BTech (last I checked at least). It's received some good feedback from those that have used it.

agreed. not to say the btech is a bad radio if the limitations aren't an issue, but there's a lot of compelling options that have been introduced since that pack all of the features (except, in most cases, power), less of the cons, and for the same or less money, both on the base/mobile and handheld sides of the coin.