Motorola 6dB Gain magnetic mount antenna O'ring

H8SPVMT

Question

After almost two years of use outdoors I found the o'ring ath the base had broken and allowed water to enter between the base and the screw-on mount.  There enough water to short the antenna and the center spring loaded contact was full of water too.
My real concern is that I believe this could cause the radio to burn out if left un-repaired.  After drying all the components' out, I went in search of a new o'ring.  ACE Hardware carries theses for just under a buck.

Nomenclature:
1-1/2" x1-3/8 x 1/16 #56 Oring STK No35770B 

Mine had simply dry rotted in the elements so I would suggest replacements every year. 

IMG_20210911_113433066.jpg

IMG_20210911_113804427_HDR.jpg

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, H8SPVMT said:

After almost two years of use outdoors I found the o'ring ath the base had broken and allowed water to enter between the base and the screw-on mount.  There enough water to short the antenna and the center spring loaded contact was full of water too.
My real concern is that I believe this could cause the radio to burn out if left un-repaired.  After drying all the components' out, I went in search of a new o'ring.  ACE Hardware carries theses for just under a buck.

Nomenclature:
1-1/2" x1-3/8 x 1/16 #56 Oring STK No35770B 

Mine had simply dry rotted in the elements so I would suggest replacements every year. 

IMG_20210911_113433066.jpg

IMG_20210911_113804427_HDR.jpg

Good catch and a great fix!  I suggest a light coating of dielectric silicone grease as well. The O-ring will slip into place easier and it’ll prevent corrosion. I put on the threads and center contact, too. 

4 hours ago, SteveC7010 said:

Good catch and a great fix!  I suggest a light coating of dielectric silicone grease as well. The O-ring will slip into place easier and it’ll prevent corrosion. I put on the threads and center contact, too. 

I hadn't thought of the grease but I'll get right on it!