External Antenna for GMRS HT

htims05

Question

First I'm a Noob with my GMRS License.....

I use a couple GMRS HT's - KG-805G as well as KG-935G.  We primarily use them to keep in contact with my kids as they roam about the neighborhood, for the most part we can go simplex to simplex on the 5W of the 805's...however if I'm sitting at my office desk which has 2 displays connected to my computer, multiple wireless connections (blue tooth as well as the internet router), I sometimes do not pickup the transmissions from the remote HT's.  We also have access to a open repeater that we use for the farther distances in the neighborhood or town for that matter.

I was thinking of putting up something in the attic which would give me about 30 feet of elevation, or simply running an antenna out the window that I'm looking out which goes to the covered front porch.

I've been looking at https://n9taxlabs.com/shop/ols/products/dual-band-murs-gmrs-slim-jim-with-10-or-16-foot-cable for just putting it outside the window.

Or https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/uhf-440-470-mhz-slim-jim-antenna/ for up in the attic, But routing cable from the attic to my office could be a challenge and would likely require 100ft or so.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

5 answers to this question

New myself, some thoughts:

I can recommend the attic antenna approach which does help increase sensitivity. When trying to increase range which is a function of height, I think you'll need to be above tree line and if much further, above the hills between you and your intended target. However, experiment and report your success.

I went with this antenna, which is very small. Then I used LMR400 equivalent cable, then I have an adapter to get it to SMA. The fun part is getting up in the attic, drilling holes, running cable.

24 minutes ago, pcradio said:

New myself, some thoughts:

I can recommend the attic antenna approach which does help increase sensitivity. When trying to increase range which is a function of height, I think you'll need to be above tree line and if much further, above the hills between you and your intended target. However, experiment and report your success.

I went with this antenna, which is very small. Then I used LMR400 equivalent cable, then I have an adapter to get it to SMA. The fun part is getting up in the attic, drilling holes, running cable.

yeah I'm between that one and the one I posted.  How did you run the cable to your location?  I don't think I can run through walls without buying extra equipment...I might be able to go out the gable and hide it in the vinyl siding down to my office.

Where'd you get your LMR400 from?

Don't know all the proper terms, but I mounted the antenna to a wooden 2x4 available in the attic at the southern gable. I ordered an N connector version of the antenna. So, I attached the 30ft of Bolton 400 cable there and then ran it back to my office closet. This is where I have all other forms of cabling going (cat5 etc). I drilled a new hole through the ceiling and a face-plate. From there, you can extend off your run to your device.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, htims05 said:

First I'm a Noob with my GMRS License.....

I use a couple GMRS HT's - KG-805G as well as KG-935G.  We primarily use them to keep in contact with my kids as they roam about the neighborhood, for the most part we can go simplex to simplex on the 5W of the 805's...however if I'm sitting at my office desk which has 2 displays connected to my computer, multiple wireless connections (blue tooth as well as the internet router), I sometimes do not pickup the transmissions from the remote HT's.  We also have access to a open repeater that we use for the farther distances in the neighborhood or town for that matter.

I was thinking of putting up something in the attic which would give me about 30 feet of elevation, or simply running an antenna out the window that I'm looking out which goes to the covered front porch.

I've been looking at https://n9taxlabs.com/shop/ols/products/dual-band-murs-gmrs-slim-jim-with-10-or-16-foot-cable for just putting it outside the window.

Or https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/uhf-440-470-mhz-slim-jim-antenna/ for up in the attic, But routing cable from the attic to my office could be a challenge and would likely require 100ft or so.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Good Afternoon,

I have the N9TAX dual band antenna and it works really well!  Unfortunately, I have no one to really test it with as I primarily listen to random people talking, but I definitely hear people really well.  They are well made and the manufacturer is very helpful as well.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, pcradio said:

Don't know all the proper terms, but I mounted the antenna to a wooden 2x4 available in the attic at the southern gable. I ordered an N connector version of the antenna. So, I attached the 30ft of Bolton 400 cable there and then ran it back to my office closet. This is where I have all other forms of cabling going (cat5 etc). I drilled a new hole through the ceiling and a face-plate. From there, you can extend off your run to your device.

Wow, it sounds like you did a great professional job on your cable management!  I should follow suit when I run my cable!!