New Guy Question about Repeaters

ThunderBear

Question

6 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, ThunderBear said:

What does the "G-2" designate in the repeater name. Seen others as "G-7". I tried to search for this, but apparently my Google-Fu was not strong enough...
Is it a regional thing? I'm in central WA State

Normally, the repeater name is whatever the owner decided to call it. G-2 or G-7 in the name would most likely be something meaningful to the repeater owner, possibly a regional designation, but it doesn't necessarily have a common meaning. If we know what repeater you're referring to, it's possible someone in the vicinity of it might know.

Edited to add:

Actually, after reading the descriptions of two repeaters in the East Wenatchee area, I think I may have figured out what was meant by G-2, G-7, etc. It looks like they refer to the 8 GMRS repeater pairs (the frequencies used by GMRS repeaters).

G-1 would be the .550 frequencies (462.550/467.550);  G-2, .575;  G-3, .600;  G-4, .625;  G-5, .650;  G-6, .675;  G-7, .700;  G-8, .725

Based on the descriptions, it looks like the repeaters are part of a linked network, and those are just a form of numbering the nodes on the network.

i also found G-5 Spokane Mountain G-5

the repeaters i think the OP is referring to are:

East Wenatchee 700 G-7

East Wenatchee 575 G-2

4 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Based on the descriptions, it looks like the repeaters are part of a linked network, and those are just a form of numbering the nodes on the network.

East Wenatchee 700 G-7

East Wenatchee 575 G-2

I found a G3 and G6 in Moses Lake, and another G6 in Lake Chelan. In Seattle, the just used Seattle #1, Seattle #2, (and 4, 6, and 8). The numbers used corresponded to the repeater pairs 1 - 8 in all those instances, so I'm assuming that is what the owners of the repeaters intended.

9 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

I found a G3 and G6 in Moses Lake, and another G6 in Lake Chelan. In Seattle, the just used Seattle #1, Seattle #2, (and 4, 6, and 8). The numbers used corresponded to the repeater pairs 1 - 8 in all those instances, so I'm assuming that is what the owners of the repeaters intended.

Good point...that makes a little more sense why there's more than one G6.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:30 PM, wayoverthere said:

East Wenatchee 700 G-7

East Wenatchee 575 G-2

Yes, these were a couple in particular that I saw. I was also listing the other night and hearing people talking about putting up more repeaters using other G numbers.