Dual Marine VHF / GMRS Handheld

DownEastNC

I'm looking for a reliable handheld radio that supports RX/TX for both Marine VHF and GMRS. the unit must be waterproof and floats. So far I have found a Cobra MR-HH450 Dual and a Uniden Atlantis 290. The Amazon reviews for the Cobra unit are by majority just awful. The Uniden unit appears to be discontinued and unavailable. Was this dual VHF/GMRS concept just a flash in the pan that didn't "pan" out? This type of radio really appeals to me and my lifestyle. Any suggestions or contrary information about these units?

14 hours ago, mbrun said:

FCC rules changed disallowing the sale of multi-service radios like that. I interpret the FCC intent is to require use of separate physical radios for each communication service.

Well that explains why I'm chasing ghosts here ?   You would be surprised at the number of websites that still have these radios listed, but with no stock or "discontinued". Thanks for the explanation. It looks like I'll be buying separate radios, one for water and the other for terrain.

20 hours ago, OldRadioGuy said:

We have a Uniden VHF with FRS. 

Maybe they still make these since FRS does not require a license.

The VHF in ours works pretty well but we've never tried the FRS band on them.

That would be a possibility. I went to the Cobra FB page and the last mention of anything FRS was back in 2015, so I dunno ? I'll check into Uniden.

Edit: Update; Same thing with Uniden. The last mention of the dual radio was back in 2016. It was their 'Atlantis' line.

• 1 month later...

VHF/GMRS hybrids

• West Marine VHF255 (22 channels, AAA backup, 0.4w gmrs)
  • COBRA MR HH450DUAL (no repeater, no interstitials, 3w gmrs, AAA backup)
  • Cobra Marine VHF HH425 (no repeater, no interstitials, AA backup)
  • Uniden Atlantis 290 (black case) and 295 (camo) (22 channels, AAA backup, 3W GMRS, no repeater)

Edit:  Another ghost-hunter here, it seems!

https://www.cobra.com/collections/marine-radios

Cobra seems to still be producing the 450Dual, which makes it your best bet, perhaps.  There are currently refurbished West Marine VHF255s on eBay right now, but used so YMMV.

Happy hunting!

47 minutes ago, Padre1357 said:

It wouldn't be legal to transmit and I'm not sure I'd spend the money on it to risk in the water but, look at the FT3D with a mars mod. 

Honestly, if you're going to freeband, might as well save the money and get a cheap baofeng.  It's not good enough for Safety Of Life At Sea purposes, but if you just want to screw around, you couldn't really do it much cheaper.

Just to recap, my inquiry was based on some Marine/GMRS radios that I saw listed on a couple of two way radio sites. At the time I had no idea that those radios, legal some time in the past, have been phased out and no longer available because of updated FCC regulations. I'm still curious why they are still listed on the web sites but marked "Out of Stock". None the less I gave up the search and purchased a Cobra HH600 to take care of my needs. I didn't want to purchase an old radio that was out of warranty and probably not supported. This radio goes kayak fishing with me so I needed a waterproof and floating unit. The HH600 has some additional features such as GPS, DSC, NOAA, and Bluetooth if I want to pair it up with my mobile phone. I initially wanted the GMRS feature for terra firma communications but I have since learned the FCC has relaxed a bit on Marine VHF used on the ground up to 3 miles inland as long as the conversation is related to water based activity. In the past VHF Marine was relegated to "on the water" communications unless you had a station license which some marinas and boat yards need.

MRHH600W_str_615x.jpg?v=1574352998