Radioddity GM-30 acting squirelly

EARL5555

Question

Hi folks,

I have two Radioddity 5 watt GMRS HTs. They were acting fine, until I tried to add a DIY channel to the memory (right after the 8 repeater channels. Now the CTCSS/DCS codes "disappeared", so I had to re-enter them to hit the repeaters. I also notice that the display no longer shows 467.XXX while transmitting to the repeater, it just shows the receive frequency 462.XXX instead.

Should I just delete these channel memories, or should I do a factory reset? Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, EARL5555 said:

Hi folks,

I have two Radioddity 5 watt GMRS HTs. They were acting fine, until I tried to add a DIY channel to the memory (right after the 8 repeater channels. Now the CTCSS/DCS codes "disappeared", so I had to re-enter them to hit the repeaters. I also notice that the display no longer shows 467.XXX while transmitting to the repeater, it just shows the receive frequency 462.XXX instead.

Should I just delete these channel memories, or should I do a factory reset? Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

It sounds like the channel you're trying to program isn't allowing you to customize it with a repeater offset. I've had other radios act wonky in this way, but not any of my GM-30 types.

You also didn't mention how you're trying to program the radio. Are you trying to program it from the keypad or on a computer? If you're trying to program it on a computer, it could be that the problem lies in the software application rather than the radio. I believe that was more of the issue for me in the cases mentioned above than it was an issue with the actual radio.

Do you know what version of firmware you have? You can check it by pressing the monitor key while turning the radio on. My GM-30 type radios have V06.03.006. I upgraded to this version after I received my radios and it gave me much better programmability. If you're using an older firmware version, that could be part of the problem, too.

1 hour ago, WyoJoe said:

It sounds like the channel you're trying to program isn't allowing you to customize it with a repeater offset. I've had other radios act wonky in this way, but not any of my GM-30 types.

You also didn't mention how you're trying to program the radio. Are you trying to program it from the keypad or on a computer? If you're trying to program it on a computer, it could be that the problem lies in the software application rather than the radio. I believe that was more of the issue for me in the cases mentioned above than it was an issue with the actual radio.

Do you know what version of firmware you have? You can check it by pressing the monitor key while turning the radio on. My GM-30 type radios have V06.03.006. I upgraded to this version after I received my radios and it gave me much better programmability. If you're using an older firmware version, that could be part of the problem, too.

Thank you, WyoJoe. I tried to make the changes through the key pad, not the software. And yes, I was trying to input a repeater.

My firmware is version 6.03.003. If there is now version 6.03.006, then I need to upgrade the firmware. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, EARL5555 said:

Thank you, WyoJoe. I tried to make the changes through the key pad, not the software. And yes, I was trying to input a repeater.

My firmware is version 6.03.003. If there is now version 6.03.006, then I need to upgrade the firmware. Thanks again!

I'm not sure what firmware version my radios shipped with, since I didn't check it before upgrading, but the 006 version I have now works well for me. I do program my radios using my computer, though I've changed CTCSS tones from the keyboard occasionally without any problems.

18 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

I'm not sure what firmware version my radios shipped with, since I didn't check it before upgrading, but the 006 version I have now works well for me. I do program my radios using my computer, though I've changed CTCSS tones from the keyboard occasionally without any problems.

Thank you, WyoJoe.