Canada Border Crossing

DOCSGMRS

I’m planning a trip to AK via ALCAN Hwy.  I have a RV with an installed GMSR.  I understand the rules for broadcasting on GMRS in Canada.  I know I can’t operate that radio in Canada.  I have handheld CI approved radios to use while in Canada.

I need a reference or source clarify crossing the Canadian border.  Will I need to remove the installed radio from my RV as a condition for entering Canada?  The websites I’ve reviewed address broadcasting, frequencies, power limits, and Canadian FCC equipment approval … Nothing referring to crossing the border.  Any insight would help?

From my reading of the law. You can't even have it in the car/truck. Due to the fact some of those frequencies are used by their lmr and public services.

I am ham. They really don't question my gear my ham gear. I do have an sd card for my FTM400 that has all the gmrs frequencies removed to avoid any temptations

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve also never had issues going to Canada with my Ham gear. At most the US customs were the ones asking questions.

If the radio has Industry Canada certification you shouldn’t have a problem. 

One other thing, out on the western provinces they have radio resource roads where you need a VHF radio to safely drive on them. I’m not aware of anything like that in the US.

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/canada-vhf-ladd-channel-list/

Most likely, we will be going in and out the same entry point.  Indeed, you can not broadcast on particular frequencies and above certain power ratings.  The broadcasting is the prohibited act, not the possession of the hardware from what I’ve read.  I have no need to use it, so I’m probably just going to pull the main transmitter (it’s a Midland Micromobile) and avoid the situation.  I’d like to have the option of using it in Alaska but that’s minor.  I plan to call the entry point and discuss it with an officer.

Most likely, we will be going in and out the same entry point.  Indeed, you can not broadcast on particular frequencies and above certain power ratings.  The broadcasting is the prohibited act, not the possession of the hardware from what I’ve read.  I have no need to use it, so I’m probably just going to pull the main transmitter (it’s a Midland Micromobile) and avoid the situation.  I’d like to have the option of using it in Alaska but that’s minor.  I plan to call the entry point and discuss it with an officer.
It would be best to contact the entry point.

If you were for example entering Canada at one location, then exiting in Alaska, you might have a valid argument that you are simply transporting it. Honestly, If you had it disconnected and stowed away I see no reason they shoud be concerned. That said a lot of US citizens are not trustworthy in the eyes of the Canadian authorities.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I’m going to Alaska via Canada … I’ll enter and exit via the same entry point.  As I said, I’d like the option to use it in Alaska, but it’s not imperative.  I will call and find out what I can.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:45 AM, JLeikhim said:

It would be best to contact the entry point.

If you were for example entering Canada at one location, then exiting in Alaska, you might have a valid argument that you are simply transporting it. Honestly, If you had it disconnected and stowed away I see no reason they shoud be concerned. That said a lot of US citizens are not trustworthy in the eyes of the Canadian authorities.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk