newby to gmrs

bhughes

Question

trying to setup Wouxun KG905 to connect to repeater. my local repeater is on Repeater channel 15. Tran/Rec ctcss are both 151.4 according to mygmrs website. permission to use was obtained via email. I get nothing when trying to communicate between my two radios. What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated.

bob

12 answers to this question

1 minute ago, bhughes said:

trying to setup Wouxun KG905 to connect to repeater. my local repeater is on Repeater channel 15. Tran/Rec ctcss are both 151.4 according to mygmrs website. permission to use was obtained via email. I get nothing when trying to communicate between my two radios. What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated.

bob

If between the two radios you mean they in the same room, you have a desensitization problem. You need more separation, 50-100 feet likely to hear the repeated traffic. 

bob

If you are in-fact getting into the repeater, but not hearing anything on the 2nd radio, I agree with tweiss3 to put some distance between the two radios to eliminate the desense issue. If you separate them but still do not hear anything, then configuration and range come into question.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

7 minutes ago, mbrun said:

If you are in-fact getting into the repeater, but not hearing anything on the 2nd radio, I agree with tweiss3 to put some distance between the two radios to eliminate the desense issue. If you separate them but still do not hear anything, then configuration and range come into question.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thanks, radio proximity not issue. My son and I live 2 miles apart. Am I set up correctly by entering 151.4 on both receive and transmit ctcss codes? Could repeater be not working? I thought you could usually hear a secondary tone or squelch like sound if you are hitting repeater.

Thanks, radio proximity not issue. My son and I live 2 miles apart. Am I set up correctly by entering 151.4 on both receive and transmit ctcss codes? Could repeater be not working? I thought you could usually hear a secondary tone or squelch like sound if you are hitting repeater.

Yes. If the repeater requires a code to open it up, and it transmits one also, then yes it sounds like you are set up correct.

Yes, it is entirely possible the repeater is not working, or that you are out of the listening range of the repeater. Are you hearing any traffic on that frequency? Do you hear it while using 151.4 as your Rx code?

It is fairly common for a repeater to continue to transmit for 1-5 seconds after it has ceased to receive a signal from someone that has successfully connected to it. Not all do though. Also, not all repeater send out a courtesy tone when a successful transmission ends.

I would recommend driving to within a mile of the repeater and trying it from there. If the repeater is online, in good operational order, and your radios are programmed correctly, you should have success at that distance. Once you have success, head back home and try the repeater frequently on your way back see what kind of range you can get.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

15 hours ago, mbrun said:

Yes. If the repeater requires a code to open it up, and it transmits one also, then yes it sounds like you are set up correct.

Yes, it is entirely possible the repeater is not working, or that you are out of the listening range of the repeater. Are you hearing any traffic on that frequency? Do you hear it while using 151.4 as your Rx code?

It is fairly common for a repeater to continue to transmit for 1-5 seconds after it has ceased to receive a signal from someone that has successfully connected to it. Not all do though. Also, not all repeater send out a courtesy tone when a successful transmission ends.

I would recommend driving to within a mile of the repeater and trying it from there. If the repeater is online, in good operational order, and your radios are programmed correctly, you should have success at that distance. Once you have success, head back home and try the repeater frequently on your way back see what kind of range you can get.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, bhughes said:

Thomson, GA and yes can just reach each other directly if we both go out of the house. Planning on trying a different antenna soon.

On which Channel (and/or frequency) do you and your Son transmit to each other directly (by simplex and not through the repeater)?

Try turning off any Receive Tones for both HTs.

By Repeater Channel 15 on the Wouxun KG-905G, do you mean you receive on  462.550; and transmit on 467.550?

Some Radios call Channel 15 462.550 simplex, both transmit and receive on 462.550 and call the Repeater Channel for "550" either Repeater Channel 1, or Channel 23 or Repeater Channel 23; have you tried that channel, with the 151.4 tone only for Transmit to "hit" the repeater?

Try having your Son transmit on the Output frequency of 462.550 (irrespective of Channel number) with a transmit/encode tone of 151.4 and see if you can hear him with both your receive tone set to OFF and then set to 151.4.

Please report back.

NOTE: KG905G Programming software might have the wrong Receive Frequency for this Channel RPT-15:

Repeater-15.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 7.42.30 AM.png

thanks for the astute answer on checking the frequency. Both my radios were off frequency for channel repeater 15 which is what my local repeater transmits on. I have reprogrammed one and waiting to get the other one from my son to correct it.

We should be good to go then. 

thanks so much for your assistance. I would have never thought to check that.

10 hours ago, bhughes said:

thanks so much for your assistance. I would have never thought to check that.

Write Wouxun and tell them of the bug in their software (I am not a Wouxun customer) and tell them to send me a 905G as a "Thank you" for helping out their users! ?