Northwest Regional Net?

• 2 weeks later...

Why I joined, to see if there was anyone else in the area. Definitely looking for more activity in the Pacific Northwest. I know FRS/GMRS is used often in WA/OR/ID, but have experienced more users in Montana. My time in Seattle has shown that the UHF spectrum is saturated, with FRS/GMRS being almost constant. Actually interfered with a lot of commercial UHF testing as a result. Will be checking this thread from time to time.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a bit outside of Seattle, but go there for work. When in Seattle, it is usually the Seattle #6 Repeater (462.675 MHz), and then I work on many UHF commercial sites in the area. My employer had to have a shield room built, so we could test UHF radio equipment in the Seattle area, as there are so many FRS/GMRS and other UHF users, we had trouble testing licensed frequencies at that location. For internal company use, we use Motorola DTR, 1 Watt 900 MHz frequency hoppers to minimize interference. I now also run SDR# (SDR Sharp) software and a USB dongle to check for other users on all frequency bands that need to be tested. 

Which repeaters do you use in the area? I would have to get permission to use any of the others in the area.....still need to ask, but not sure which ones are active, unless they all are.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in expanding the net to Northwest Washington.  I run the repeaters in Whatcom County.  While I have a baseline knowledge of RF and setting up repeaters I do not have what it takes to get them linked.  

there is a local net Tuesdays at 1800 on the Lookout machine.  

and Pacnw send me a message for the tones on Lookout.  There are parts of Seattle it will reach.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 6:17 PM, PACNWComms said:

I am a bit outside of Seattle, but go there for work. When in Seattle, it is usually the Seattle #6 Repeater (462.675 MHz), and then I work on many UHF commercial sites in the area. My employer had to have a shield room built, so we could test UHF radio equipment in the Seattle area, as there are so many FRS/GMRS and other UHF users, we had trouble testing licensed frequencies at that location. For internal company use, we use Motorola DTR, 1 Watt 900 MHz frequency hoppers to minimize interference. I now also run SDR# (SDR Sharp) software and a USB dongle to check for other users on all frequency bands that need to be tested. 

Which repeaters do you use in the area? I would have to get permission to use any of the others in the area.....still need to ask, but not sure which ones are active, unless they all are.

One of the busy repeaters is operated by the SeaTac Repeater Association, the repeater is located on East TIger Mountain - 462.625/141.3

I've heard checkins from Yelm, Orting, Puyallup, Port Townsend, Camano Island, Stanwood, Granite Falls, North Bend. Even from hikers camping up in those mountains using HTs.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New GMRS user, haven't been able to connect with anyone in the Yelm area on a handheld. Just purchased a simplex node (being build) from OCTANE NETWORK (daneoctane.com) programmed to connect to Octane Network (NJ) but will reprogram to a closer hub. But which one should I connect to? still researching...Also found these... 

BROADNET GMRS REPEATER SYSTEMS 

OCTANE NETWORK - LINKS (daneoctane.com) 

GMRSCANDID.ONE ** GMRSGONEWILD ** 

but nothing in the pacific northwest area. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, WRWC527 said:

I would like Island County, Whidbey/Camino Island, somehow included. I don't see any GMRS repeaters on the Island, only Ham. I have to use Cultus repeater to the East and OLY 1 and 2 to the West. Will be monitoring to see how I can help, if at all.

I'm headed out to Port Townsend in a few weeks. Saw the OLY repeaters on here, they actually open for public use or just OLY-com* stuff? Do i have to join OLY-com? Will be in the area for 3-6 months.

Edited by sonofnone116
Misunderstood the information I initially saw.

16 hours ago, sonofnone116 said:

I'm headed out to Port Townsend in a few weeks. Saw the OLY repeaters on here, they actually open for public use or just OLY-com* stuff? Do i have to join OLY-com? Will be in the area for 3-6 months.

The OLYCOMM repeaters have general use "open" tones and you can read about them here:

https://www.radioofhope.org/oly-comm-volunteers

I listen and sometimes participate on OLYCOMM3 and it's fairly active.  There's a weekly social net on Wednesdays 8:30pm - 9:30pm, and a weekly tech net Wednesdays 6:30pm - 7:30pm.

• 3 months later...

I am in Umatilla, Oregon and interested in connecting.  There is a repeater about 25 miles from me in Boardman, but truth be told, I have no idea what I am doing. When I key the mic for it, I get a series of three beeps. I have no idea what that means. I am running a Midland MXT500. Any help out there?

41 minutes ago, WREL747 said:

I am in Umatilla, Oregon and interested in connecting.  There is a repeater about 25 miles from me in Boardman, but truth be told, I have no idea what I am doing. When I key the mic for it, I get a series of three beeps. I have no idea what that means. I am running a Midland MXT500. Any help out there?

Are the three beeps received from the repeater or are they generated by the Midland MXT500 radio? Have you tried speaking into the microphone?  Does anyone answer?

• 6 months later...

The 3 beeps you hear are probably the repeater. With MXT500 you have to turn on repeater channels. Find privacy codes for transmit and recieve. (TSO or DCS) Menu.

I have been learning, but think if you search the tube... MIDLAND MTX500 it may be some help.

I am also very interested in a PACNW Net. I see that we have two National Net repeaters showing on MyGMRS in Washington State, but none in Oregon showing on the map.

• 1 month later...