New to GMRS suggestions on which radio/s be best for my situation

Guest Daniel

So just submitted my GMRS license application, and looking for little guidance 

Intended use: Ok so purpose of radios will be for family members to be able to reach each other in emergency situations or if internet and phone communications go down. 

My location: California, Monterey Bay Area 

from searching here looks like there is a repeater available in the area (BARN- Bay Area repeater net).  According to coverage map I’m in mobile coverage area and three other family members live in portable coverage area.   So I’m assuming that means I’ll need a mobile unit and family members can use 2-way “Walkie Talkie” type radios.

Preferances: looking for solid, budget friendly options that are relatively simple to operate.  Tentative budget $250 ish for the mobile unit, $100 for the handhelds. I know you get what you pay for but don’t want to pay for Features I don’t need but if spending a little more gets me a bigger value then I’m open to it.

Hopefully that’s enough info, if any questions I’ll try answer them

Thanks

In an emergency don't count on any repeaters to be functioning. Some may have provisions for emergency power, many don't. The ones that do will likely be reserved for emergency traffic only, not open for general communications. For the later you'll need to rely on simplex or put up you own repeater and then insure it has power to continue operation in a grid down situation.

20 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

One suggestion I'll make is try to dig a little more into the setup on that (or any) repeater before pinning your plans on it, primarily whether they have backup power in case grid power is down.

19 hours ago, Lscott said:

In an emergency don't count on any repeaters to be functioning. Some may have provisions for emergency power, many don't. The ones that do will likely be reserved for emergency traffic only, not open for general communications. For the later you'll need to rely on simplex or put up you own repeater and then insure it has power to continue operation in a grid down situation.

Good points will contact them and see what the setup is.  

On 11/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, wayoverthere said:

One suggestion I'll make is try to dig a little more into the setup on that (or any) repeater before pinning your plans on it, primarily whether they have backup power in case grid power is down.

Great point.  Find out if you can if the repeaters have a backup power source.  A repeater is no good in a grid down situation if there is no battery/generator backup.