Newbie. I just got a signal hit from a repeater channel - NOW WHAT?

BradfordD

It is VERY quite where I live.... as in NOBODY OUT THERE...  But, I was scanning and got a hit on a repeater...  I was able to retrieve it's CTCSS code.  As there are several repeaters in my area (five using the same frequency - as shown on My GMRS map page) - I've sent out the following email:

Hi ****,

I’m new to GMRS and my Call Sign is ******.  I recently purchased a handheld and while scanning, I noticed that I may have gotten your repeater (it was giving out its repeater tone every few minutes).

It came up on mine as RPT-22 / CH-030 on 462.72500 (with a CTCSS code of 131.8) – and yours is ONE of the only matches that I could find locally.

I live on *** *** ****, and was actually a bit surprised!

I got your info on “myGMRS” and would like to request occasional repeater use if possible.  I don’t even know if I could trigger your repeater – but I would like to try anyway.

Please let me know if this is okay and if there is any special instructions in doing so.

I then ended the email with my name, address, phone number and Callsign.

Anything else that I should be doing??  

I live at sea level and am surrounded by hills and water....  Just how far can a handheld reach out to??  

13 hours ago, BradfordD said:

I live at sea level and am surrounded by hills and water....  Just how far can a handheld reach out to??  

A good rule of thumb is:

If you can "see" line of sight to whomever you are trying to communicate with, you should be able to talk to them.

By "see," even if it requires binoculars to see them.  The point is what obstructions are in the way and how high and unobstructed is your antenna?

Given you are using a Handheld, when inside, remember there are walls in the way, too.

If there are five repeaters in your area, you may want to invest in a rooftop antenna, to maximize your reach.  That should help the fact that you are at sea level.

The hills are a negative factor, unless someone or a repeater is on top of those hills.

Do you hear any activity on the 725 Repeater now?

I would not use any Tone for your receiving for now; keep it open so you can maximize your reception.  Of course you will need the proper tone to trigger the repeater's repeating your received signal through its transmitter.

Some "administrators" just don't actively review their email.  One example of this is just yesterday I received permission from a repeater administrator who apologized for his late reply.  I requested it on July 27th!

So my attitude is that if their listing on myGMRS does NOT say permission is required and I have actively attempted to obtain permission with no reply, that I can use the repeater until I am told otherwise not to.  Of course I am courteous and follow the normal custom and practice.  

That being said, here in Los Angeles there are many repeaters to choose from, so I rarely use the out of the way repeaters without a reason to do so.

One reason I do so, is a "radio friend" I have made here from GMRS lives 25 miles north of me with some hills in the way.  We are actually able to communicate simplex using higher power (18 watts in my case and 25 watts in his) on the high power simplex channels.

But I did discover one of the repeaters that is not that active and that I do not normally use, is within his reach.  So I educated him as to this repeater to double his reach to the only one repeater he could hit before.

13 hours ago, BradfordD said:

It came up on mine as RPT-22 / CH-030 on 462.72500 (with a CTCSS code of 131.8) – and yours is ONE of the only matches that I could find locally.

I live on *** *** ****, and was actually a bit surprised!

I can't seem to find this repeater on the myGMRS map in your locale.

The one referencing "trees are listening" says it is not operational yet.

Are you able to decode the Morse Code identifier?  Is that how you found it?

I received a response (and an okay to use) from "MNT TOP 2 VALLEJO" and it appears to be the right repeater.   Was able to do a radio check with my SO and we both were able to TX and RX on it!  

Distance 23.44 miles - RX and TX from inside my home.

I've added that as a specially named channel to my 935 with the frequencies and tones - leaving the original repeater channel "un-modified"...

To find the repeater - I did a search from the MyGMRS map and identified five possible repeaters operating in my area at the same frequency and sent the each a similar email...  Got several responses - but this one "lines up" with the tones.

GMRS Repeater Distance.jpg

Edited by BradfordD
added content