Repeater info

Guest Tyke

So in my previous post I mentioned that I am very new to all this but slowly I will learn with all your help. I’m located near Athol Ma (not my exact location, nearest repeater seems to be in Keene Nh north of me and around Springfield Ma to the south and west of me.

so I’m looking at a BridgeCom Systems BCR-40DU (400-470 MHz) UHF Repeater to use and would like to keep it open for others, we have a backup generator in case of power failures. I noticed that this repeater is not part 95 certified, any input on this.

Thanks Tyke

I am unaware of any repeaters except perhaps the Retevis RT97 that is part 95e certified. I don’t believe the market is viewed to be large enough by the manufacturer’s to justify the extra certification expense.

It seems that most repeater owners choose to use higher quality and more prolific commercial-grade Part 90 equipment, whether it be purchased new or used. This equipment generally is considered to meet and exceed all relevant technical performance requirements of GMRS. After all, GMRS frequencies live right within the LMR spectrum where part 90 equipment is mandated.

I have no first hand experience with Bridgecom, but I admit I have have considered it myself. In light of stories of poor service and customer support after the sale from a couple of owners as well as strong negative positions voiced by others that operate other commercial brands, I have closed the door on them as a future candidate.

As of a few weeks ago, there where two used Motorola commercial repeaters offered by a commercial radio operator that is also a member of this forum. Price was less than $1000, complete with good faith 30 or 90 day warranty. As a ‘guest’, sadly you do not have access to that post. Perhaps when you become a member you can check them out if they are still available.

Good luck on your GMRS journey.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

A used Part 90 repeater is a better investment. Units from Motorola, GE, or others are proven, solid units. Amateur units from Kenwood, Icom or Yeasu are also good candidates. The key piece for a repeater is the antenna. It needs both height above ground and gain. Gain increases the effective radiated power and improves reception. Gain is reported in either dBi or dBd. Dbi is imaginary while dBd is real gain as you subtract 2.1 from the dBi figure to obtain the real power increase of dBd for an antenna. Repeater life is measured by the duty cycle which is the amount of time the repeater is in use. Low cost units have a duty cycle or time spent actually on-air of about 20% or working about 12 minutes per hour. Part 90 units and amateur units will start with a 50% duty cycle and go up to a 100% duty cycle which means constant use.