Sunol repeater access

GFORCE

26 minutes ago, GFORCE said:

Hello everyone, I am new to gmrs and have a rookie question, where do I make a request to access the Sunol repeater. The website shows a request section but no Dropbox to actually enter text.

Thanks Arthur wrow975

It looks like it's a members only machine, with access requests through the site disabled. A little googling on NCGUG didn't turn up much besides a groups.io group here's so that may be the best bet related to getting access/membership:

https://groups.io/g/ncgug

Intermod (it's a username on this forum) is an owner, you can send PM to him. They turned me down few years ago, but you may try, maybe their hearts softened over 5 years.

It may be possible to hit it from Manteca, repeater is roughly at 1800', while Altamont pass is at about 1000'. The 70cm repeater at the same location is easily reachable from Tri Valley, from every place, and has a good coverage over Bay Area proper, except the mountain shadow in North San Jose, and in Fremont. And this is with reduced power, as far as I understand, because of PAVE PAWS radar site. GMRS frequencies do not fall under military control, so coverage supposed to be same or better.

52 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Do you travel to the Sonol region?

I do not think you will be able to hit it from Manteca.

I wouldn't totally count it out, to be honest, but it'll depend on LOS and elevation, and what terms the owner(s) want for membership.

I'm able to use the Central 1 machine (west of Coalinga...have to enable "stale repeaters" to see it) from a bit more than 60 miles out on a basic little 5/8 wave in the top of a closet.

Thanks for the info guys, I was wondering how the ncs51 repeater in Modesto is reaching all the way out to the Bay Area, I can hear the guys talking all the way out there and according to some Intel it was due to the Sunol repeater or access to. Just wondering how this all works. Is it through the internet? Or do they use echolink. Just a little confused.

3 hours ago, GFORCE said:

Thanks for the info guys, I was wondering how the ncs51 repeater in Modesto is reaching all the way out to the Bay Area, I can hear the guys talking all the way out there and according to some Intel it was due to the Sunol repeater or access to. Just wondering how this all works. Is it through the internet? Or do they use echolink. Just a little confused.

Internet links are definitely a thing. While echolink is ham only, there is similar capability in Zello (including an app) that's also a possibility...I've talked on a couple repeaters in Utah and NY that way.

Edit: I didn't dig into the FB groups, but NCS has a couple in Modesto and Madera. Anecdotal, but it seems like when there's multiple, it's a little more likely for there to be links. NGUG (behind the sunol repeater) also has one in Oakland that wouldn't surprise me if it's linked.