Hilltop1

I just put a Wouxon KG-UV920P-A into service at my base station. It was pretty easy to figure out. I only looked in the book a couple times (to figure out how to release the removable face and to get a couple menu #'s to set PL tone). This thing is solid yet compact. Reports are that it sounds great. Undoubtedly I will get another one for the truck. I love the remote face. The main radio is out of the way and the face/control surface (about 2" high by about 6" wide) can be more conveniently located where you want with the included data cord (it looked to be about 15 feet long). Too many features to list, I love this radio.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the 950P, which is very similar, only quad band.  One thing I like about it is programming it with the computer.  If you have it in the shack, I would invest in a programming cable.  BEWARE of copy cables, they don't work too well.  The programming software for the radio is pretty average, but is usable.  

I run the CRAP out of mine in the car, SOLID for the past 3 months with like no issues.  BUT that is the 950P... I have heard of the display issues with the 920, but I thought that was fixed with later models.

James

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
32 minutes ago, WQIR250 said:

Is anyone having issues with programming split tones where Tx is DCS and Rx is CTCSS?  or visa versa?

I haven’t tried it, but you can always just leave the tone out for receive and it’ll work.

29 minutes ago, WQIR250 said:

Living in a crowded area the frequency is too active and I like filtering the noise out.

Makes sense. 
So what happens when you try to program split tones?  Is the programming giving you a problem or does it simply fail on the radio?

Using the radio programming software, tone modes are listed as:

None, Tone, T Sql, DCS, D Code, T DCS, D Tone

I was able to program split tones for a number of the local GMRS repeaters using the codes listed, except for one.  That repeater has DCS Tx & DCS Rx split tones, which I cannot get to work.

My Icom IC-F6021 (Business Band radio) allows for the programming of DCS split tones and I was able to access the repeater. That radio is my base rig for GMRS repeater communications.  I wanted to use the Wouxun KG-UV920P as my mobile rig (it's a better fit for my Jeep since the control head is removable).

13 minutes ago, WQIR250 said:

Using the radio programming software, tone modes are listed as:

None, Tone, T Sql, DCS, D Code, T DCS, D Tone

I was able to program split tones for a number of the local GMRS repeaters using the codes listed, except for one.  That repeater has DCS Tx & DCS Rx split tones, which I cannot get to work.

My Icom IC-F6021 (Business Band radio) allows for the programming of DCS split tones and I was able to access the repeater. That radio is my base rig for GMRS repeater communications.  I wanted to use the Wouxun KG-UV920P as my mobile rig (it's a better fit for my Jeep since the control head is removable).

So I assume you would need your radio to be in mode “T DCS”, which I believe transmits a CTCSS tone to the repeater and expects to receive a DCS code from the repeater?

If that doesn’t work then I would try “D Tone” in case it lists the receive mode first. 

Since I am going from DCS-Tx to DCS-Rx, the correct setting is D Code. 

So I rechecked the channel settings and discovered the repeater offset was "wrong" Agh!!!  So, I corrected the offset, and guess what?!  

Yup...  I now have access to the repeater!  I have been working on this issue for two days. (Silly mistake)

I'm leaving this thread up in case someone else gets confused with the "Tone Mode" settings for the Wouxun KG-UV920P:

None = No tone

Tone = Tx CTCSS

Tone Sql = Tx CTCSS & Rx CTCSS

DCS = Tx DCS

D Code = Tx DCS & Rx DCS

T DCS = Tx CTCSS & Rx DCS

D Tone = Tx DCS & Rx CTCSS

11 minutes ago, WQIR250 said:

Since I am going from DCS-Tx to DCS-Rx, the correct setting is D Code. 

So I rechecked the channel settings and discovered the repeater offset was "wrong" Agh!!!  So, I corrected the offset, and guess what?!  

Yup...  I now have access to the repeater!  I have been working on this issue for two days. (Silly mistake)

I'm leaving this thread up in case someone else gets confused with the "Tone Mode" settings for the Wouxun KG-UV920P:

None = No tone

Tone = Tx CTCSS

Tone Sql = Tx CTCSS & Rx CTCSS

DCS = Tx DCS

D Code = Tx DCS & Rx DCS

T DCS = Tx CTCSS & Rx DCS

D Tone = Tx DCS & Rx CTCSS

Great!

But I'm confused.  You said that the repeater was split tone: "where Tx is DCS and Rx is CTCSS."

But now you say you're in D Code, which uses DCS for Tx and DCS for Rx.  That's not split mode.  What did I miss.