Need help determining correct connectors between outside antenna and HT

bluesky

Question

Would really appreciate your help with connecting an external antenna to my HT.  My goal is to connect several family members that live close together.  We’ve done a test and can reach (barely) with a NA-771G antenna outside (2.15 db Gain).  I figure if I can get a better antenna and mount it higher we may get better reception.  I’ve read that I should put BNC connectors on the radios thus the extra complication.  Here is what I think the configuration should be but I have limited knowledge so could be going down the wrong path.  Also, if you could provide links to purchase the Pigtail and BNC connector I would appreciate it.  Should the BNC connector be right angle?

1.      Antenna - Ed Fong GMRS Antenna with N connector (assuming this is Female) – 5db Gain

2.      Coax - 25 feet LMR400 Coax with N connector (male) – have DX engineering build the cable

3.      Pigtail – N Female to BNC Male

4.      BNC Connector – BNC Female to SMA Female - Right Angle?

5.      Radio – Wouxon 805G with SMA Male

6 answers to this question

I've had the best luck using a BNC female to SMA to attach to the HT, then get a jumper cable from BNC male to your 400. The 400 will be way to stiff to connect direct to the HT. The BNC adapters typically swivel, which is what you want to relieve the tension to the HT antenna imput.

I mounted a JPole antenna on a 10' tall pipe on my deck railing and cable it to my HT. 

Would really appreciate your help with connecting an external antenna to my HT.  My goal is to connect several family members that live close together.  We’ve done a test and can reach (barely) with a NA-771G antenna outside (2.15 db Gain).  I figure if I can get a better antenna and mount it higher we may get better reception.  I’ve read that I should put BNC connectors on the radios thus the extra complication.  Here is what I think the configuration should be but I have limited knowledge so could be going down the wrong path.  Also, if you could provide links to purchase the Pigtail and BNC connector I would appreciate it.  Should the BNC connector be right angle?
1.      Antenna - Ed Fong GMRS Antenna with N connector (assuming this is Female) – 5db Gain
2.      Coax - 25 feet LMR400 Coax with N connector (male) – have DX engineering build the cable
3.      Pigtail – N Female to BNC Male
4.      BNC Connector – BNC Female to SMA Female - Right Angle?
5.      Radio – Wouxon 805G with SMA Male

I find nothing wrong with combination of product. Looks like you have a workable solution as identified.

I do however prefer to use of a BNC connector on the radio and whole-heartedly agree with the recommendation of using a 90-degree BNC to connector at the radio, whether you are using a cable with a permanent 90-degree connector, or a cable with an adapter.

I have and use the the following adapters on my KG-805G
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVQK466/

If you use a 90-degree BNC adapter for this, make sure you order the 50 ohm version vs 75. I am using the following:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774FZCXW

I own and use an Ed Fong, but I also have an use a Comet CA-712EFC. The comet has more gain, but the Ed-Fong is still viable and can be better choice under certain conditions.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 1/28/2022 at 10:15 AM, bluesky said:

I’ve read that I should put BNC connectors on the radios thus the extra complication. 

Do you know what the rationale there was?  There shouldn't be any benefit to BNC connectors in your situation, and adding more adapters in the feed path will actually reduce effectiveness slightly (all other things remaining the same).

A better antenna than the one you are using, and height, are the most sure ways to improve almost any situation.

2 hours ago, generalpain said:

Do you know what the rationale there was?  There shouldn't be any benefit to BNC connectors in your situation, and adding more adapters in the feed path will actually reduce effectiveness slightly (all other things remaining the same).

A better antenna than the one you are using, and height, are the most sure ways to improve almost any situation.

I believe the thinking is the BNC is more geared toward/built for the repetitive on/off cycles compared to the sma connectors...shifting that burden to adapters lets you wear out the adapter rather than a connector on the radio as well.

I have some from a big variety pack of adapters; when I was able to run without in the past, I went without, sma-m cable to sma-f radio. Current setup in the backup car, I may run sma-m or sma-f radio, so I put the adapters I have to use, and got the other bnc-f adapter I needed, so either type can plug into the bnc-m on the antenna cable.

@wayoverthere plus 1 on the BNC and use of adapters to absorb the wear rather than the radio connector.

The HTs that I frequently switch between mobile and handheld use have BNC connectors on them. Antennas have them as well. Easy on, easy off. My adapter cable in the vehicle has 90-degree BNC on the radio end of cable, as does one cable I often use in the shack for hooking up the HT to the base antenna for various tests/experiments I may be doing.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM