"BARN" System in CA

RobertHode

• RobertHode changed the title to "BARN" System in CA

The short version is they've had all those repeaters "in planning phase" posted for awhile; pretty much since I took an active interest in going beyond bubblepacks (~2 years now).  The one repeater in the SF Bay area is supposedly active and has good coverage, though the group behind them is apparently in money troubles at the moment, based on the updates on the repeater descriptions.

http://barnsys.org/home.html

one of the principals for BARN is an admin for one of the "GMRS Only" facebook groups as well.

The group is certainly legit. But they always had only BARN-R1 operational, the rest or repeaters listed are in planning stage for about a decade already. The R1 moved around, and current location has good coverage of South Bay, but I can't use it from where I live, so I do not follow these guys closely.

@axorlov

@wayoverthere

Thanks. Calling one operational repeater a "system", based on getting funds to put the other nine repeaters in service, is pretty misleading on their part. "We are currently the largest coverage system in the SF/Monterey Bay Area, the second-largest networked system in California, and the fifth-largest GMRS repeater organization in the US.

Just now, RobertHode said:

@axorlov

@wayoverthere

Thanks. Calling one operarional repeater a "system", and the "second largest system in the state", based on getting funds to put the other nine repeaters in service, is pretty misleading on their part.

Probably wasn't a high bar at one point, though I may be a little cynical.

Reading what they wrote to FCC on of their filings was interesting, along that line. (I googled "barn gmrs" and it was one of the first page results).

18 minutes ago, RobertHode said:

@axorlov

@wayoverthere

Thanks. Calling one operational repeater a "system", based on getting funds to put the other nine repeaters in service, is pretty misleading on their part. "We are currently the largest coverage system in the SF/Monterey Bay Area, the second-largest networked system in California, and the fifth-largest GMRS repeater organization in the US.

Ask for a refund! ?

11 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I foolishly googled: barn system

Nah, that would be the logical first try, and they don't show up. I even tried "barn system gmrs" and they're nowhere in the first page on that either. I think I was originally aware of them from this site, as I'm just on the edge of coverage for one of those planned systems, and do get up to the bay periodically.

As a clarification, what I meant with the Google search is that searching "barn gmrs" turns up that fcc filing on the first page, (though that document does have their website address on it).

Here is the document: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/attachments/attachmentView.jsp%3FapplType%3Dsearch%26fileKey%3D1471639256%26attachmentKey%3D18870264%26attachmentInd%3DapplAttach&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiTofLsztz1AhXiD0QIHdxLCTEQFnoECAMQAg&usg=AOvVaw2w9K3JCUU5IXYj2RKrBcE-