BRC HP-500 High Gain 460-470 Mhz GMRS Band Repeater Base Antenna-11.7dB Gain

headlayoutman1

Appears same as the TRAM 1481 and most likely made by the same china company. Most of the multi piece trams fall apart after a few years. Basically a hoppy antenna. Mine last 2 months in NY before it snapped in the wind. Since them I only use commercial LMR antennas made by reputable companies.

8 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Appears same as the TRAM 1481 and most likely made by the same china company. Most of the multi piece trams fall apart after a few years. Basically a hoppy antenna. Mine last 2 months in NY before it snapped in the wind. Since them I only use commercial LMR antennas made by reputable companies.

Few years is more like few months. They develop water ingestion and the foam inside soaks water so things corrode real fast. 

Verticals tend to shoot out with a vertical takeoff angle, so it will reach very far, but up on the clouds... instead of a gigantic (and usually ineffective) antenna, I would get this for UHF:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133927735178?epid=1941709490&hash=item1f2eb70f8a:g:yowAAOSwIytgUyhQ

G.

11 hours ago, gman1971 said:

Could not agree more! 

Say what you want about dipole arrays being 'old school', but the reality is they work, and work well.  Very low angle of radiation (<10 degrees in most cases), last for years in the crappiest conditions and, none of the issues found in the cheap multi-section verticals, all of which as noted, eventually suffer from 'water ingestion'.