Antenna or adapter

motoxprnce

Question

5 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

The mount is a standard 3/8 24 or for an antenna with a 3/8 male end with the thread count of 24 turns per inch. This is pretty much a standard for CB antennas but quite common for dual band V/UHF as well. Where it is isn't the best choice, but will work fairly well.

I plan on moving it in the future once i get a roof rack for the truck, but this will work for now for comms well on the trail, and recommendations on antenna? something that doesnt break the wallet

I did a little searching, and didn't find many options for that mount; one dual band option on DXE, though it's tuned a little lower than you want. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-1414

Based on that, I'd lean toward dropping a few extra bucks on a nmo adapter for that mount (this one looks like it would fit, and it's only $10) for the much wider variety of options on antennas.  Lots of no ground plane required NMO mount options around $50, spring or no spring, small (10") to large (30+ inches).  There's still apparently a few of midland's old 5/8 wave whips floating around (sportsman's warehouse) for a good price ($15) too.

5 hours ago, BoxCar said:

One antenna I like is the Comet CA-2X4SR. It's more than the MFJ but the usable bandwidth covers both ham frequencies and FRS/GMRS. It is available with either an SO239 or NMO mount option.

I don't know how dependent it is on a ground plane, as I have it mag mounted in the center of the roof, but I've been happy with my ca-2x4sr (in nmo flavor).