Motorola syntor x9000

WRPH393

Question

Hello everyone

I recently acquired a syntor x9000. Now before everyone starts to groan uncontrollably lol, I worked many years in law enforcement as a dispatcher and have somewhat of a sentimental attachment to this radio. I understand it requires eeprom programming which is becoming a dying art lol.

Anyone know of a shop in the modwest that could program the eeprom for me?

I'm also trying to figure out which of the wires/ pins on the back of the head unit are for the external speaker.

7 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, WRPH393 said:

Hello everyone

I recently acquired a syntor x9000. Now before everyone starts to groan uncontrollably lol, I worked many years in law enforcement as a dispatcher and have somewhat of a sentimental attachment to this radio. I understand it requires eeprom programming which is becoming a dying art lol.

Anyone know of a shop in the modwest that could program the eeprom for me?

I'm also trying to figure out which of the wires/ pins on the back of the head unit are for the external speaker.

The manuals for that radio should still be available.  The manual would have all the wiring information.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Motorola-Syntor-X9000-3997312.html

As for programming, only the original Syntor used an eeprom.  The X-9000 (and you're taking me back many years) as I recall, had a programming adapter that fit between the control cable and the radio for programming by computer.  However, that radio is so old it may be a DOS based software.

FWIW, a quick search for "X-9000 programming" came up with several 2-way shops that still offer programming for that radio.

It is done in DOS as said if its truly the X9000. It requires a special cable to the RIB. Its been many years since I did one. 

Which head is on it ? Most X9000 came with the W9 Head with a plug from the harness. The plug on the harness should have a Orange and Green Wire along with 2 for speaker. Some were black with a stripe and should have a molex plug on it. 

Alot of good info HERE

Oh wow.. a 9000 Syntor.

So there are questions that need to be answered here and you need to remember that is a 100 watt radio.  GMRS is only 50 watts.  Who ever does the programming on it needs to be aware of that so you are ??legal?? Not to mention that is NOT gonna be a narrowband radio.  I keep hearing that GMRS is narrowband and is NOT narrowband.  So, I would investigate that and verify that you are legal there too.

Programming.

If the unit has the display head (looks like a W9, but is NOT) it can be programmed with a RIB and cable.  It IS most certainly a DOS only radio and is most certainly a SLOW computer ONLY programmable radio.  When I say slow... we are talking 386/486 slow.  IF you have a Pentium ANYTHING it's TOO fast.  I been down that road.  I do still have everything needed to do it including a computer that will go that slow.  No, I have no interest in programming your radio, please don't ask.  Those old radio's are finicky as hell, and it may or may NOT take a programming change at this point and I have no interest in telling you I broke your radio trying to program it.

If it has the clam shell head (its' actually a Syntor and not a 9000) it will need programmed with a suitcase programmer or the EPROM will need erased and reflashed.   Either method will work but it will depend on which radio it is on if it has a EEPROM and EPROM or a PROM.  A double E will straight program, and EPROM will need erased with UV and can be programmed with a suitecase and the PROM has to be UV erased and flashed with a PROM programmer.  Again, been through it, prom programmer is over on a shelf after the shop I work for decided they didn't want it any more.  I couldn't see tossing it. 

As mentioned before.... there is a good bit of info over on BatLabs about those radios and you should be able to figure out WHAT you have there and proceed accordingly.

11 hours ago, WROZ250 said:

The manuals for that radio should still be available.  The manual would have all the wiring information.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Motorola-Syntor-X9000-3997312.html

As for programming, only the original Syntor used an eeprom.  The X-9000 (and you're taking me back many years) as I recall, had a programming adapter that fit between the control cable and the radio for programming by computer.  However, that radio is so old it may be a DOS based software.

FWIW, a quick search for "X-9000 programming" came up with several 2-way shops that still offer programming for that radio.

Yep, it's dos based software lol

By the time I locate a dos computer, obtain the software and cable, I'll gladly pay a shop to program it.

Like I said , I have a sentimental attachment to these radios so it's worth every penny

2 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

Oh wow.. a 9000 Syntor.

So there are questions that need to be answered here and you need to remember that is a 100 watt radio.  GMRS is only 50 watts.  Who ever does the programming on it needs to be aware of that so you are ??legal?? Not to mention that is NOT gonna be a narrowband radio.  I keep hearing that GMRS is narrowband and is NOT narrowband.  So, I would investigate that and verify that you are legal there too.

Programming.

If the unit has the display head (looks like a W9, but is NOT) it can be programmed with a RIB and cable.  It IS most certainly a DOS only radio and is most certainly a SLOW computer ONLY programmable radio.  When I say slow... we are talking 386/486 slow.  IF you have a Pentium ANYTHING it's TOO fast.  I been down that road.  I do still have everything needed to do it including a computer that will go that slow.  No, I have no interest in programming your radio, please don't ask.  Those old radio's are finicky as hell, and it may or may NOT take a programming change at this point and I have no interest in telling you I broke your radio trying to program it.

If it has the clam shell head (its' actually a Syntor and not a 9000) it will need programmed with a suitcase programmer or the EPROM will need erased and reflashed.   Either method will work but it will depend on which radio it is on if it has a EEPROM and EPROM or a PROM.  A double E will straight program, and EPROM will need erased with UV and can be programmed with a suitecase and the PROM has to be UV erased and flashed with a PROM programmer.  Again, been through it, prom programmer is over on a shelf after the shop I work for decided they didn't want it any more.  I couldn't see tossing it. 

As mentioned before.... there is a good bit of info over on BatLabs about those radios and you should be able to figure out WHAT you have there and proceed accordingly.

Yep not planning to do anything illegal or non type accepted with it. It's going to sit in my shack as a receiver, why? Because I can lol. As far as asking to program it, nope

Not my style, I'd rather send it off.

I'm well aware of the slow programming process as we did a lot of these at our departments radio repair/garage.

Only got it for nostalgic purposes lol

And I know tech'ing these radios is a dying art.

2 hours ago, WRPH393 said:

Yep not planning to do anything illegal or non type accepted with it. It's going to sit in my shack as a receiver, why? Because I can lol. As far as asking to program it, nope

Not my style, I'd rather send it off.

I'm well aware of the slow programming process as we did a lot of these at our departments radio repair/garage.

Only got it for nostalgic purposes lol

And I know tech'ing these radios is a dying art.

Please understand,,, I have had a failure rate working on these of about 1 in 4.  Most of it being the PROM not wanting to take programming correctly after being UV erased. 

Repairing them for someone that knows how isn't actually too bad.  Would rather work on one of these as opposed to the new stuff where it's a few large IC's and very few supporting components.  I will say that if you are a ham operator, it will program up for that as well.  It may not broadband enough to run full power and have the receive at both ends  (ham and GMRS) but I am thinking you might find a happy medium. 

And I only bring up the power and transmit bandwidth because a LOT of people forget that part.  Can't tell you the number of high power Maratrac's, Spectras and even a few XTL's that had all the FRS and GMRS stuff in them and programmed for full power.  And 3 dB is NOTHING (50 vs 100) as opposed to 500mw (legal limit on some FRS) and 110 watts (what the radio will do). 

But a Syntor that's working right is a really good stable radio.

Have fun with it and good luck.

Lots of info here.

http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/

I recently revived 3 of the low band radios and they are fine. Even have DES-XL capability with infinite code retention.

I had Andy Brinkley , Brinkley Electronics in North Carolina program my code plugs. You will have to determine which firmware you have and he will burn you code plugs to match 32, 64 or 128 channels. The control head needs an 8K memory for 64 or 128 channels.

In my case I bought a 128 channel upgrade. The price was reasonable.

If you are doing this for GMRS you can get by with 32 channels and 16 tone MPL. There is a simplex button DIR for talk around.

GMRS is wideband unless you drink the Midland koolaid . Set the power to 50 watts and you will be fine.

Orange and green wires behind control head are for ignition sense. There should be a white or clear molex connector for the speaker. If this doesn't look quite right, you may have a siren cable for a DEK unit, not a radio cable. Check you part numbers on the onfreq website before powering it up.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk