Recording

reevesr19

Question

I am wanting to connect a digital voice recorder to record call signs, names and local data on contacts made while on the GMRS & HAM bands. I have seen pigtail setups that are used in aviation to record pilot and tower transmissions.

Has anybody setup something like this that might share some ideas. I have some hearing loss from to much 2nd amendment fun & work in the early years and sometimes need to have operators go phonetic and slow so I can write things down for my log entry's. 

Any ideas would be great.

Ron

WRNX920

KW7RNX

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, reevesr19 said:

I am wanting to connect a digital voice recorder to record call signs, names and local data on contacts made while on the GMRS & HAM bands. I have seen pigtail setups that are used in aviation to record pilot and tower transmissions.

Has anybody setup something like this that might share some ideas. I have some hearing loss from to much 2nd amendment fun & work in the early years and sometimes need to have operators go phonetic and slow so I can write things down for my log entry's. 

Any ideas would be great.

Ron

WRNX920

KW7RNX

i would imagine a simple headphone splitter would work, if you have a recorder with a 3.5mm input; feed the other side of a splitter to an external speaker, and good to go.  alternately, some fiddling in the settings could probably work to feed the audio into a pc and have it both record and play through the speakers.

i currently have my two base radios fed into a y connector (meant as a splitter, but i'm using it to combine), which then feeds either a pair of computer speakers through their harness, or into a headphone amp and headphones (cuts the volume level for late night listening).

7 hours ago, alexd51 said:

thank you @reevesr19 i was just thinking about asking this myself. I have a digital recorder and i will try this , hopefully it doesn't cut the start of a conversation because to save batteries it will go to sleep until it hears something.

I have watched a number of POTA & SOTA videos and they are running the radio audio out to the recorder and then putting a head set on the earphone output of the recorder to monitor it. It may work out to a speaker also.

I will see what I can get working and what I used when I am happy with it.

WRNX920

POTA- Parks on the Air

SOTA-Summits on the Air