Jump to content
  • 0

BTECH 50X1 Squelch issue


WRKC779
 Share

Question

I purchased a BTECH GMRS 50X1 radio and at first it worked perfectly, then all of a sudden it would not receive on ANY channel unless the squelch is set to Zero. I have made sure all settings are off, done the recommended factory reset but still have the same issue. I returned the radio once and got a replacement, but the second unit developed the same problem. Are there any recommendations for this issue or should I just trash this radio and replace it with something else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 hours ago, WRKC779 said:

I purchased a BTECH GMRS 50X1 radio and at first it worked perfectly, then all of a sudden it would not receive on ANY channel unless the squelch is set to Zero. I have made sure all settings are off, done the recommended factory reset but still have the same issue. I returned the radio once and got a replacement, but the second unit developed the same problem. Are there any recommendations for this issue or should I just trash this radio and replace it with something else. 

Are you using a computer to program the radio? If so, it may be that something was set to "on" in your settings that is causing this.

It sounds like the radio is awaiting a code or tone before opening the squelch. My thought is that if you're uploading a code plug to the radio after the factory reset, then it may be the code plug that's faulty.

I am not familiar with the programming of the 50X1, but I do have the QYT ham version of this radio. I looked at the Chirp programming for my radio and didn't see anything obvious that would cause the issue, but there could be something in the 50X1 firmware that isn't in the firmware on my radio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I have had recent experience with 3 different 50x1s with the same problem. Even right out of the box, no extra programming at all, reception blocked unless squelch is set to 0. One radio worked for a short time but then required 0 squelch. We combed through the menus to see if anything was obviously set wrong. One thing seems a little confusing, and that is Menus 18 and 19. There is an "off" choice for Optional Signaling- menu 18, but no "off" choice for 19. Out of the box, QT is set in 19, which indicates a required tone. I'm away from the radio now, but could setting Menu 19 to "OR" and 18 to "OFF" work? We'll give that a try when we're able. A comment from BTech would be helpful here, hint hint...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, PhilJ said:

I have had recent experience with 3 different 50x1s with the same problem. Even right out of the box, no extra programming at all, reception blocked unless squelch is set to 0. One radio worked for a short time but then required 0 squelch. We combed through the menus to see if anything was obviously set wrong. One thing seems a little confusing, and that is Menus 18 and 19. There is an "off" choice for Optional Signaling- menu 18, but no "off" choice for 19. Out of the box, QT is set in 19, which indicates a required tone. I'm away from the radio now, but could setting Menu 19 to "OR" and 18 to "OFF" work? We'll give that a try when we're able. A comment from BTech would be helpful here, hint hint...

I have 18 set off, 19 set to QT, and working fine. 

I then tried the "and" and "or" settings combined with 18 at "off" and still receiving fine on both settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, PhilJ said:

Thanks wayoverthere, I'm happy to know at least some of these radios have squelch working. The adventure continues...

The squelch, yes. Output power, not so much. High falls off pretty fast from 48 watts, and doesn't level off til 25.

I would double check it didn't do something funny with the reset like turn on a random code (some other brands have been doing that lately). If I get a chance I'll poke around for a squelch level adjustment similar to what the uv5r has. I had a similar (nothing unless squelch is off) situation with a lmr radio, a d the issue was a base squelch setting in the base image that was way tight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/28/2022 at 6:10 PM, wayoverthere said:

The squelch, yes. Output power, not so much. High falls off pretty fast from 48 watts, and doesn't level off til 25.

I would double check it didn't do something funny with the reset like turn on a random code (some other brands have been doing that lately). If I get a chance I'll poke around for a squelch level adjustment similar to what the uv5r has. I had a similar (nothing unless squelch is off) situation with a lmr radio, a d the issue was a base squelch setting in the base image that was way tight.

dug around in the settings; didn't see anything that stood out as a possibility.  There's one item for squelch adjustment, but that looks to be the same one accessible through the radio face (mine is set to 5), and i only have tone squelch (receive filter) set on a few channels, most are carrier squelch only.  the ones using TSQL, two are a pair of repeaters on 462.575 with different CTCSS tones, and another is for the local ham club, which is a mixed analog/p25 repeater...running tone squelch on that one filters out the p25 signals, but lets me hear the analog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

This is what I noticed about my Btech. I tune to a repeater specific channel ( say rep2 ) and I program the codes .... When I change channels to the normal numerical channel ( 16 ) the ctcss codes  are applied to said channel . I have to shut off all codes to use the ch15-22. I have never used a PC always programed by hand . I purchased this radio just 9 mos ago. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, JerryWROB834 said:

This is what I noticed about my Btech. I tune to a repeater specific channel ( say rep2 ) and I program the codes .... When I change channels to the normal numerical channel ( 16 ) the ctcss codes  are applied to said channel . I have to shut off all codes to use the ch15-22. I have never used a PC always programed by hand . I purchased this radio just 9 mos ago. 

 

It's adding tones to channels other than the one selected? That sounds like a firmware glitch. Have you reached out BTech about it? They're supposed to be reasonably good about resolving issues during the warranty period.

Not sure if it's related, butI know I saw something in the older error logs for chirp that someone had a bad image that was causing issues loading frequencies to the radio, and loading a clean image resolved it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.