Programming recommendations for a MTR2000 Repeater

Ronster

Question

I’m seriously considering buying the MTR2000 repeater from Used-Radios and I would like to complete a programming sheet, but I really don’t know what I should have programmed other than a primary rx/tx frequency and pl’s. I’m using 2 CDM750 radio’s that are 4 channel, but they can be reprogrammed if needed in the future.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ron

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Ronster said:

I’m seriously considering buying the MTR2000 repeater from Used-Radios and I would like to complete a programming sheet, but I really don’t know what I should have programmed other than a primary rx/tx frequency and pl’s. I’m using 2 CDM750 radio’s that are 4 channel, but they can be reprogrammed if needed in the future.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ron

I have bought 2 radios and a repeater from them and i cant say nothing bad about them they have gone above and beyond in my case even when the mistake was my fault.

As mentioned above, there's no need to program any other frequency on a repeater  except what you will be using for the repeater. In my case my repeater also can be switched to act like a base radio so i did program a few repeaters in my area so i switch to base and i can transmit to those repeaters and when im done switch back to repeater mode.
Being a MOTOROLA getting the software for yourself is a bit costly and to be honest Motorola software is not easy for a novice there's so many ways you can screw up your repeater. Ask them if they can send you the codeplug of the radio once they program it that way you have a virgin codeplug in case anything goes wrong with the repeater.

2 hours ago, Ronster said:

I’ve looked at so many repeaters and duplexers. The question should be referring to the MTR2000 repeater at Used-Radios.com

OK, seemed like you have been referring only to duplexers.  MTR2000, being a commercial grade repeater, has limited internal options.  To do some of the more 'hobbyist' features requires an external controller.  Repeater Builder has many articles on this repeater and possible options.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/mojoindex.html

Basic repeater instructions would be to program it to your intended frequencies (Transmit on the Lower frequency, Receive on the Higher frequency) - and for GMRS, make sure that the channel is set to 25kHz wideband. You would also need to let them know the specific Tone code (PL) or DPL that you plan to use.

Now beyond that, there are tweaks and settings (as well as a tuning procedure specific to the MTR2000 that most hobbyists are NOT qualified to perform) - but if it's a used repeater, those functions should have already been set and tuned, and now the new frequencies just need to be programmed in, and then everything double checked on a Station Monitor.  Used-Radios.com is more than capable of doing all of that, and doing it well.

Unless you have some exotic use case beyond a simple repeater, there isn't all that much information to give them. Freq's along with your chosen PL/DPL, bandwidth, and your FCC call sign if you desire CWID.

If you're using the repeater with a duplexer, you'll be locked in to the specified frequencies, so there isn't much need to program a lot of different frequencies.

With that in mind, depending on the number of channels you have available, I would suggest programming the repeater with several different channels for the desired repeater frequency pair, but with different PL/DPL codes on each channel. That way, if for some reason, you have to change the codes, you can do so with a simple change of the channel.

On my VXR-7000 repeater, I programmed mine so that I had several available PL/DPL codes on my selected frequency pair, and also had them programmed for both high and low power, so I could change the code and/or power setting with only the change of a channel on the repeater. This gives me several "built-in" configuration changes that allow me to change the repeater parameters while staying on the frequency pair that the duplexer is tuned for.

31 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

On my VXR-7000 repeater, I programmed mine so that I had several available PL/DPL codes on my selected frequency pair, and also had them programmed for both high and low power, so I could change the code and/or power setting with only the change of a channel on the repeater. This gives me several "built-in" configuration changes that allow me to change the repeater parameters while staying on the frequency pair that the duplexer is tuned for.

i also own a VXR 7000 didn't even cross my mind doing this.

The MTR2000 has no standard provision for changing channels. You can set up a channel steering function through the rear 96 pin connector, but it's something you would need to homebrew.

There is a special handheld service microphone that was sold as a service tool, and I believe that would allow you to change channels (Nope! I just looked it up - P/N GMN6147 - it doesn't allow channel selection) and adjust station volume levels for the speaker (but you still needed to  provide an amplified external speaker.)

The MTR2000 is great for a single channel repeater, but it's NOT noob friendly for someone who wants to play around and figure out what works best.

Transmit and receive frequencies, PL/DPL tones that you are using and your call sign.  Specify one minute less than the required interval for IDing on GMRS, this will keep you legal as a commercial repeater will NOT force ID and instead hold off until the channel is clear.

IF you are planning on immediately connecting the repeater to some sort of controller then you will need to add the programming for that device.  Consult the manufacture of the device for guidance on that.  But no controller is needed for GMRS operation.

Lastly, POWER LEVEL.  You are only allowed 50 watts on GMRS and MTR repeaters were mostly 100 watt stations,  you will need them to set the power level to 50 watts.