Configure

WRPK517

Question

I want to assign and be able to use a repeater and the one I've chosen  is no permissions needed tone 141.3 will set wife's radio up the same once I know how. Only for emergency use. She works at a hospital ER and if we need to communicate and can't conventionally the radio could work if I could use a repeater but I am at a loos as to set up. Help. JP  great4gumbo@gmail.com  WRPK517

2 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, WRPK517 said:

I want to assign and be able to use a repeater and the one I've chosen  is no permissions needed tone 141.3 will set wife's radio up the same once I know how. Only for emergency use. She works at a hospital ER and if we need to communicate and can't conventionally the radio could work if I could use a repeater but I am at a loos as to set up. Help. JP  great4gumbo@gmail.com  WRPK517

What radios are you using?

In general, it'll be something about ctcss tones youre looking for in the menu; the transmit tone is the critical one. (Labeled t-ctcs on many radios, or CT on some of the Midlands). Most newer radios let you choose the tone, while Midland, you'll have to use a table to see what code is assigned for the tone you want.

Having a repeater won't guarantee you will be able to talk. Both your radio and the handheld your wife uses have to be able to reach the repeater. The repeater itself has to be operational during whatever emergency that is causing your wife to use it rather than a cell phone or regular landline phone. Just as a figure-of-merit, you are looking at a cost of about $1500 to install the repeater, power and antenna. It can be done for less, but as you stated it is for emergencies, you'll want a repurposed commercial unit over a low end unit manufactured for casual use.