URIx receiving but not transmitting.

Fladventurguy

Question

I'm setting up my node on the GMRS Network and I'm having a little difficulty. I have a Bridgecom BCR 40DU repeater. I know that I have connected everything correctly because my node shows up on the GMRS map and I'm able to connect to other nodes. I can hear traffic from other nodes and it transmits through my repeater. The issues I'm having is I cannot transmit. When I try transmitting, I notice the TX light doesn't illuminate on the URIx. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Tim WROE916

BCR-40U_BCR-50V_BCR-220_Owner_s_Manual_Ver_1.7.pdf URIx Data Sheet.pdf

4 answers to this question

Hi Tim,

When you say you're having trouble transmitting, what exactly are you referring to? Are you using a radio trying to get the repeater to transmit? Or the repeater itself is unable to transmit to other radios?

Bridgecom has a document that explains how to set up the repeater to connect to an external controller:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0833/9095/files/Interfacing_the_BCR_Repeater_to_Amateur_Radio_Controllers.pdf?7143532249708900618

Our cables follow the same pinout as the MV-1 from Bridgecom:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0833/9095/files/BCR_Repeater_to_URI.pdf?7576387813378094434

It depends if you have the repeater set up to act as an independent receiver and transmitter, which requires the Raspberry Pi to cause the transmitter to key up when a suitable RX signal is detected, or if you're letting the repeater function as a standalone repeater and the Pi will only key it up when there is traffic coming from the network side. 

Most likely you will need to adjust the SimpleUSB settings to match the repeater settings. The file can be found at /etc/asterisk/simpleusb.conf. You can edit the file with "sudo nano /etc/asterisk/simpleusb.conf", and use CTRL + O to save the file, and CTRL + X to edit the nano editor. I recommend backing up the files before changing them in case you make a mistake and can't figure out how to revert back. If you have the original files, you can replace any broken files and get back to where you left off.

I have the same repeater and been dealing with the same issue. this is what i changed to get it to work for me

carrierfrom = usbinvert ; no,usb,usbinvert
                        ; no - no carrier detection at all
                        ; usb - from the COR line on the USB sound fob (Active high)
                        ; usbinvert - from the inverted COR line on the USB sound fob (Active low)

ctcssfrom = usb    ; no,usb,usbinvert
                        ; no - CTCSS decoding, system will be carrier squelch
                        ; usb - CTCSS decoding using input from USB sound fob (Active high)
                        ; usbinvert - from the inverted CTCSS line on the USB sound fob (Active low)

when i key up i can see my node light up on the map. now i have to figure out how to connect to a node