gmrs linking legal now ?

WQBU369

52 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The wording specifically allows “operation by remote control.”  When you are transmitting on a station, you are operating that station.  

When you press your “push to talk” switch on your handheld and speak, your radio signal enters the receiver of the repeater, breaks squelch, and causes the transmitter of the repeater to re-transmit your signal.  You have operated the repeater.

95.1749 specifically allows you to do that using a network connection: 

§ 95.1749 GMRS network connection.

Operation of a GMRS station with a telephone connection is prohibited, as in § 95.349. GMRS repeater, base and fixed stations, however, may be connected to the public switched network or other networks for the sole purpose of operation by remote control pursuant to § 95.1745.

However...

image.thumb.png.9b48757795c2ba31bfdb801f2f286969.png

"Remote Control" is a broad term covering many things, not just GMRS communications. And the FCC explicitly states that connecting a repeater to a network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications is not allowed.

28 minutes ago, WRQE813 said:

However...

image.thumb.png.9b48757795c2ba31bfdb801f2f286969.png

"Remote Control" is a broad term covering many things, not just GMRS communications. And the FCC explicitly states that connecting a repeater to a network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications is not allowed.

It is not a broad term:

47 CFR 95.303 “Remote control” Operation of a Personal Radio Services station from a location that is not in the immediate vicinity of the transmitter. Operation of a Personal Radio Services station from any location on the premises, vehicle or craft where the transmitter is located is not considered to be remote control.

1 hour ago, tweiss3 said:

It is not a broad term:

47 CFR 95.303 “Remote control” Operation of a Personal Radio Services station from a location that is not in the immediate vicinity of the transmitter. Operation of a Personal Radio Services station from any location on the premises, vehicle or craft where the transmitter is located is not considered to be remote control.

Thanks!  Digging through the jargon and definitions it is starting to make more sense to me now...

Remote Control...

image.png.2d2412561f6933fd1a0b94676c32aa21.png

Operate...

image.png.b00aeaf3ae6ebc865080e9011f184d2d.png

Network Connection...

image.png.27f84be7e1250cd9e6d3c6c47c5a12aa.png

So when the FCC says:

"You cannot directly interconnect a GMRS station with the telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations."

It is pertaining to only to radio-to-telephone communication, namely using a radio to dial a phone number.  

Thanks everyone!  I love the idea of a network of connected GMRS repeaters, but that statement on the FCC site of "You cannot directly interconnect a GMRS station with the telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations" had me stumbling for a bit.

7 hours ago, WRQE813 said:

Thanks!  Digging through the jargon and definitions it is starting to make more sense to me now...

Remote Control...

image.png.2d2412561f6933fd1a0b94676c32aa21.png

Operate...

image.png.b00aeaf3ae6ebc865080e9011f184d2d.png

Network Connection...

image.png.27f84be7e1250cd9e6d3c6c47c5a12aa.png

So when the FCC says:

"You cannot directly interconnect a GMRS station with the telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations."

It is pertaining to only to radio-to-telephone communication, namely using a radio to dial a phone number.  

Thanks everyone!  I love the idea of a network of connected GMRS repeaters, but that statement on the FCC site of "You cannot directly interconnect a GMRS station with the telephone network or any other network for the purpose of carrying GMRS communications, but these networks can be used for remote control of repeater stations" had me stumbling for a bit.

I can certainly understand why. Their explanatory notes actually made it less understandable. That’s why I always go right to the wording of the actual regulations.