LOTA

WRPH745

I have had this idea running around in my head for awhile and I am wondering if it has any merit or not.

I call this idea LOTA, Locals of the Air, and it is a rip off of POTA and SOTA.  Both POTA and SOTA for all intensive purposes are HF activities.  I was wondering is something similar could not be done for 2m, 70 cm, and GMRS.

I am thinking just like POTA their would be hunters and activators using only simplex.  The difference would be activators could use any public location, such as city parks, county parks, ball diamonds, etc.

The one add-on that you could do with LOTA is adding a fox hunt category to it besides the normal POTA style activity.

Before I actually did anything with it, I wanted to get some people's opinions if it.

Thanks

Both in VA and in FL, there are a lot of POTA activations on 2m and 70cm FM. They usually call on or around the calling frequencies so they are easy to find.  With SOTA in VA, there are a lot of VHF/UHF activations. 

I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but around these 2 states, except for the GMRS and fox hunt aspects, it's already happening.  I'm not sure if that is a good indicator that you will have interest from others or not.

I like it, and like marcspaz - I just had a simplex 2M (146.520) SOTA contact with someone atop Mt Mitchell, NC.  

My local Target (I think it is the Target) keeps making some odd "CQ" on MURS, and the local kids have been having fun with FRS. 

Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes!   Get more people "radio-active" with their basic kit.