help with Chirp programing a repeater in to radio

WRQF490

Question

thank in advance Just got my callsign friday

any way I have a repeater i want to connect to the frequency is 462.625  and a input and output tone is 141.3

I can here the repeater transmit its ID in Morris code but not connecting to it. 

I have tone mode set to "tone" and the tone set to 141.3 in the tone column in chirp. 

What else do I need input seams there should be another input of tone 141.3 somewhere

8 answers to this question

I’m new here, too (call sign obtained last Thursday). As I understand it from using CHIRP to program my GMRS radios, if you’re using the input/output tone in Hz (like 141.3), then it uses the same tone for both and you don’t need to program each separately. As a test, I used the manufacturer software to program mine, and manually entered the tones in the Tx & Rx (output/input) columns. then when I load the radio from CHIRP, it only shows 1 tone with that setting. I did a radio check and said “<call sign> Radio check, am I reaching the repeater.” I got a response back from another call sign saying I was reaching the tower fine, just a little static. It could be that you’re just a bit out of range for the repeater to pick up your transmission, but you can receive the output from the tower? Just a guess - hopefully one of the experienced folks here can confirm. I did notice my Tone column was set to TQSL, not Tone, maybe that is the problem?

What radio are you using?

Both the Issaquash and East Tiger Repeaters are about 70 miles from you and although you can hear it, you are probably too far to hit the repeater.  Take a drive nearer to the repeater with your HT and try again!

Mason Benson at Mason Lake: 462.650 tone in - 123.0; tone out - 100.0; is much closer to you

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 2.15.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 2.20.19 PM.png

3 minutes ago, donniefitz2 said:

To back up even a bit further, are you transmitting 467.625 or 462.625? Just wanting to cover the basics here. You should be transmitting 467 and receiving on 462. 

This can be determined by looking at the offset in Chirp. The offset needs to be set to "+" (plus). If it's "-" (minus), or (None), then it isn't programmed properly.

1 minute ago, WyoJoe said:

This can be determined by looking at the offset in Chirp. The offset needs to be set to "+" (plus). If it's "-" (minus), or (None), then it isn't programmed properly.

Exactly. And to be even more specific. Make sure you use "+" and 5.000 as the value. Chirp is nice, but very quirky. 

He still has not identified his radio, but if it is an FCC certified GMRS radio, my understanding is that the manual designation of "+" and "5.000" is neither required nor subject to change on those radios in CHIRP, as shown by the example I posted for the BTECH GMRS V-1.

Thanks everyone, not sure how to reply to individual answers to my question so posting as an answer to my own question LOL.

Have a UV-5G  with firm ware update,  I set up the station in Chirp using the following info. on channel 26 using 462.625, Name "GMRS 62" tone mode "Tone"  Tone "141.3"  Duplex "+"

Offset "5.00000" Mode "FM" Power "High". I believe I am just to far.

Set up Looks like the diagram MichaelLAX posted.

Thanks MichaelLAX I am able to hit the closer repeater in Manson Beson,  which did show up in the map list of repeaters near me. I think it is less then 5 miles