NW Montana GMRS

I've been a HAM for a few months and I'm bored. I was a ham about 25 years ago and had the same concerns then.

Anyhow, the more I explore GMRS the more I am interested. I just added my GMRS license.

I've got a large UHF / VHF antenna and scan various frequencies, mostly GMRS / FRS, but I also scan EMS and the local HAM repeaters.

I'm in NW Montana (in the woods) and I hear lots of nationwide traffic on 462.600. The repeater identifies as WRHS264, but the only call sign I find is WRSH264 out of Kalispell.  That seems too far away for me to hear their signal so clearly. I can't find it on any repeater reference website.

I also hear CW repeater identification on 462.650, 462.725, & 462.6375. I don't see them listed anywhere either.

I'm interested in joining the net on 462.600 -- but I doubt my 25 watts will hit that repeater (if it's in Kalispell) and I don't know the tones for the other repeaters. I don't hear any traffic on them, anyway

Interested in GMRS. I would like to learn more about Simplex Nodes, Repeaters, and the local GMRS community.

Anyone else in NW Montana on GMRS?

-F350

1 hour ago, F350 said:

I've been a HAM for a few months and I'm bored. I was a ham about 25 years ago and had the same concerns then.

Anyhow, the more I explore GMRS the more I am interested. I just added my GMRS license.

I've got a large UHF / VHF antenna and scan various frequencies, mostly GMRS / FRS, but I also scan EMS and the local HAM repeaters.

I'm in NW Montana (in the woods) and I hear lots of nationwide traffic on 462.600. The repeater identifies as WRHS264, but the only call sign I find is WRSH264 out of Kalispell.  That seems too far away for me to hear their signal so clearly. I can't find it on any repeater reference website.

I also hear CW repeater identification on 462.650, 462.725, & 462.6375. I don't see them listed anywhere either.

I'm interested in joining the net on 462.600 -- but I doubt my 25 watts will hit that repeater (if it's in Kalispell) and I don't know the tones for the other repeaters. I don't hear any traffic on them, anyway

Interested in GMRS. I would like to learn more about Simplex Nodes, Repeaters, and the local GMRS community.

Anyone else in NW Montana on GMRS?

-F350

I’m in Butte, so SW Montana, but as far as ham radio there’s a DMR repeater on 70 cm in Eureka. I assume you’re in that area, maybe Troy or Libby.  It’s networked to the Brandmeister network so you can literally talk to people all over the world.

https://www.dmr-montana.net/radio-site-data/eureka-dmr.html

Ham radio is much more active than gmrs in Montana although Billings now has gmrs repeaters. 

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sshannon said:

I’m in Butte, so SW Montana, but as far as ham radio there’s a DMR repeater on 70 cm in Eureka. I assume you’re in that area, maybe Troy or Libby.  It’s networked to the Brandmeister network so you can literally talk to people all over the world.

https://www.dmr-montana.net/radio-site-data/eureka-dmr.html

Ham radio is much more active than gmrs in Montana although Billings now has gmrs repeaters. 

Good luck!

I have some lots in Walkerville if there's interest in putting a GMRS repeater up there.  Not living there now but don't know why it couldn't be done.  Should provide hella range from there, overlooking the valley toward the Highlands, Fleecer Mtn, Pintlar, I-15 corridor and toward I-90 West toward Deer Lodge.

26 minutes ago, Extreme said:

I have some lots in Walkerville if there's interest in putting a GMRS repeater up there.  Not living there now but don't know why it couldn't be done.  Should provide hella range from there, overlooking the valley toward the Highlands, Fleecer Mtn, Pintlar, I-15 corridor and toward I-90 West toward Deer Lodge.

I couldn’t commit enough time or capital support to doing that, but you’re right; that would seem like a great location.

Thank you for the thought.