Split squelch codes on Yaesu FT-60

DonErle

Question

Just purchased a Yaesu FT-60 with the mars mod so it will operate on GMRS frequencies. Does anyone know if split squelch codes can be set on the radio. In other words, where the RX code and TX code are different. Or is it necessary to use a programming cable and PC.

7 answers to this question

On 5/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, DonErle said:

Just purchased a Yaesu FT-60 with the mars mod so it will operate on GMRS frequencies. Does anyone know if split squelch codes can be set on the radio. In other words, where the RX code and TX code are different. Or is it necessary to use a programming cable and PC.

Edited to correct: You can set one to DCS and another to CTCSS, but the ft60 cannot have different tones for xmit and rcv. 

See pages 22-25 in the manual. 

Edited by Sshannon
I was wrong and I wanted to correct it.

11 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Yes, you can set the uplink and downlink tones differently on the front panel. You can even do true split by setting one to DCS and another to CTCSS. 

See pages 22-25 in the manual. 

Page 22-23 Cover general CTCSS and DCS operation no mention of split tones

Page 24 Covers Tone Search

Page 25 covers Bell Operation at top

Page 25 Bottom sorta covers split tones. What I need is split DCS tones, one for RX one for TX. The "D" option is for encode only. I tried that by setting the TX code, never heard anything out of my radio because it set the same code for RX.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:47 PM, Sshannon said:

Sorry,  I thought that would be it for sure.  I got the ft65 and it definitely allows different dcs tones for transmit and receive.

I tried the RT Systems application on my RT-60. Only one code is allowed for RX and TX, unless the repeater you're using uses CTCSS on one side and DCS on the other. I now own a RT-65 for that very reason. I like the way the menus work on the 65. I have several Wouxan GMRS radios, so I was very familiar with their menu operation. So picking up the 65 for the first time was like using an HP calculator after only having TI models. After a couple of days I now think the RT-65 has a better logic.

The RT-60 is built like a battleship. Yaesu first built this model in 2004. It's solid and I intend to use it on 4WD trails using simplex.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, DonErle said:

was like using an HP calculator after only having TI models

Off topic.

Started engineering college with a new HP-45 I got for graduation from high school. Now I have the HP-41C emulator on the company iPhone.

Over the years I always loved giving people my HP when they wanted a calculator to use for a few minutes. Just stood there while they looked at all the buttons trying to find the "equals" key. They give up after a few minutes and handed it back. They just couldn't get the hang of a "stack" and "RPN" operation to do even simple stuff like add, subtract, multiply or divide numbers.