Noise at End of Transmission

CJW

Question

I'm using a Wouxun KG-935G, I find that after every transmission I receive, there's loud static at the end of the transmission.  This happens on both GMRS/FRS frequencies as well as other RX-only frequencies I happen to monitor.

Attached is an audio clip from my kids chatting on a pair of bubble pack FRS that I was monitoring on the KG-935G.  After each transmission, there's loud static.  It's almost as if the squelch takes a long time to reengage.  The bubble pack handsets also have static at the end of the transmission, but not to the same degree.  (It's far louder and more pronounced on mine.)

Is this a handset problem (setting or because the radio is SOC vs superheterodyne), or is it a limitation of radio in general and my expectations are higher than realistically possible?

5 answers to this question

Ah, knowing the term for it is helpful, thank you.  We're not using any tones at all; hard to believe it could be worse than that. lol

Edit:  Knowing the name allowed me to find that my radio has RPT-TONE which "eliminates" the squelch tail burst.  However, it appears to be a placebo setting as there's no noticeable difference between having it on or off.

I saw that, but the way I understood it, the RPT-TONE setting eliminates the tone that your radio sends at the end of a transmission, which eliminates the squelch tail for someone listening to you.  It isn’t there to prevent you from hearing a squelch tail.  Rather than seeming like a placebo, you might hear a difference on a radio held by someone listening to you.

if they have a similar setting that would help you, but only for transmissions from their specific radio.

Do the bubble pack FRS radios have a way to be configured or are they just PTT, channel, and volume?  

I still think there should be a way to prevent the squelch tail on the 935, but maybe it’s just an artifact of those particular FRS radios.  Have you listened to any other radios and if so was the squelch tail as bad?

19 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

similar setting that would help you, but only for transmissions from their specific radio.

Do the bubble pack FRS radios have a way to be configured or are they just PTT, channel, and volume?  

I still think their should be a way to prevent the squelch tail on the 935, but maybe it’s just an artifact of those particular FRS radios.  Have you listened to any other radios and if so was the squelch tail as bad?

Ah you're right.  When I turn it on it DOES reduce the squelch tail on the bubble packs.  They don't have any configuration that I can see that would impact it.  Just basic stuff like you mentioned.

13 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I'd be more worried about those young arsonists! ?

Lol, they were out by the fire pit and are looking forward to cooking hotdogs and s'mores tonight!