Have New Baofeng GT-5R radio. When use CHIRP to download frequencies radio won't transmit.

WRQX740

Question

If I manually put in GMRS frequencies into my new radio it will transmit. But when I download the GMRS frequencies in CHIRP the radio can monitor but can't transmit. In CHIRP in the Duplex column I put none. I save what I have done, load it to my radio. I then close that program and reopen it and the Duplex settings all show off and didn't save the none so I assume it probably up loaded it into my radio that way which I believe would be a setting to not allow transmission. Any suggestions on what settings or such I would use to be able to transmit without manually entering every frequency I want to use? I have reset the radio to factory settings and worked with CHIRP 3 times. Am a little frustrated.  ?  Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

5 hours ago, WRQX740 said:

If I manually put in GMRS frequencies into my new radio it will transmit. But when I download the GMRS frequencies in CHIRP the radio can monitor but can't transmit. In CHIRP in the Duplex column I put none. I save what I have done, load it to my radio. I then close that program and reopen it and the Duplex settings all show off and didn't save the none so I assume it probably up loaded it into my radio that way which I believe would be a setting to not allow transmission. Any suggestions on what settings or such I would use to be able to transmit without manually entering every frequency I want to use? I have reset the radio to factory settings and worked with CHIRP 3 times. Am a little frustrated.  ?  Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Random things to try:

After manually entering a few frequencies that work well on transmit, read from the radio to a blank sheet in Chirp.  Look at every column to see what’s different.

Then add new channels in Chirp (don’t overwrite the ones you’ve read from the radio) that have the same settings except for frequencies and tones. Write to the radio. Did that help?

Don't confuse saving in Chirp with writing to the radio.

Closing Chirp and reopening it to a blank sheet doesn’t indicate that anything wrote to the radio.  You should see the lights blink on the radio while writing.

Finally, are you trying to write to channels that are not allowed to transmit?

24 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Finally, are you trying to write to channels that are not allowed to transmit?

That may be it right there...What info i'm finding on the GT-5R seems to indicate these are locked down to transmit on ham frequencies only, which would explain why it's not allowing transmit on GMRS frequencies.

That aside, if there's a GMRS legal version of the radio that i'm missing, it may also depend on the method used to lock them down for part 95e compliance.  While they've made some progress with the GMRS-V2, the earlier Btech models (GMRS-V1, GMRS 50x1) forced compliance by not allowing the user to program ANY additional transmit channels.  They got the base 30 (22 simplex, 8 repeater) from the factory, and anything else added by the user was RX only, whether it was in bounds for GMRS or not.

4 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

That may be it right there...What info i'm finding on the GT-5R seems to indicate these are locked down to transmit on ham frequencies only, which would explain why it's not allowing transmit on GMRS frequencies.

That aside, if there's a GMRS legal version of the radio that i'm missing, it may also depend on the method used to lock them down for part 95e compliance.  While they've made some progress with the GMRS-V2, the earlier Btech models (GMRS-V1, GMRS 50x1) forced compliance by not allowing the user to program ANY additional transmit channels.  They got the base 30 (22 simplex, 8 repeater) from the factory, and anything else added by the user was RX only, whether it was in bounds for GMRS or not.

I have a GT-5R.  It is constrained to transmit only on 2m and 70cm ham frequencies. Wide open for receive.

The Baofeng UV-5G and UV-5X are the GMRS versions of the Baofeng. I don’t have either.  

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

I have a GT-5R.  It is constrained to transmit only on 2m and 70cm ham frequencies. Wide open for receive.

The Baofeng UV-5G and UV-5X are the GMRS versions of the Baofeng. I don’t have either.  

Most UV5Rs can be opened up, but if you want something to transmit on GMRS with out "modification" get a GMRS radio. I have the UV5G. It works well enough for what it is. Definitely NOT waterproof. 

The Baofeng GT-5R is a GMRS radio. It is the latest one that is approved by the FCC. It doesn't allow transmission on any frequencies that aren't GMRS by default. But I can manually enter the GMRS frequencies and it transmits fine. It's way faster to use CHIRP to put in all the frequencies and also frequencies that I just wish to monitor such as Fire, etc. So it works as advertised unless I download from CHIRP. I have tried using a fresh sheet in CHIRP after resetting to factory settings and it shows in the duplex column off which shows it won't transmit. So I changed each one of the duplex settings to none one at a time. (have done this three times now) and then load to the radio and it won't transmit. When I go into CHIRP to see the saved settings sheet that I changed to none, all the settings are at off. Don't know if this is a bug in CHIRP but thought I'd see if anyone had a fix before I contacted them.  This is my first GMRS radio ever. I've read through the manual and don't even see in the settings where you change the transmit/not transmit settings. Have watched several youtube videos and made sure that transmit in the CHIRP settings was enabled and I'm out of ideas. Think I'll put this one in a drawer for now. I have a better radio back ordered (Wouxun UV9GX GMRS) which is pre-programed. Thought it would be fairly simple and 2 weeks in and quite a few hours and if I thought it was a bad radio I'd smack it with a hammer, but I think the radio is fine and being new I just don't know how to effectively use CHIRP and the settings. Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you everyone who has responded so far. I'll start from scratch tonight and use the suggestions and give it one more go.  ?

Unless Baofeng has changed its model numbers, the GT5R is not a GMRS radio. I have one which is 2 meter and 70 cm only. Here’s what Baofeng says on their website:

[Better Choice for Entry Level] 100% legal version of UV-5R. GT-5R transmits only on 144-148MHz 420-450MHz, complies with FCC Equipment Rule, and would not obstruct other important public services. You can verify the frequency and enjoy a band talk at will, but never worry about goofing with authorities. Keep in mind that you NEED A LICENSE to broadcast. 

3 hours ago, WRQX740 said:

The Baofeng GT-5R is a GMRS radio. It is the latest one that is approved by the FCC. It doesn't allow transmission on any frequencies that aren't GMRS by default. But I can manually enter the GMRS frequencies and it transmits fine. It's way faster to use CHIRP to put in all the frequencies and also frequencies that I just wish to monitor such as Fire, etc. So it works as advertised unless I download from CHIRP. I have tried using a fresh sheet in CHIRP after resetting to factory settings and it shows in the duplex column off which shows it won't transmit. So I changed each one of the duplex settings to none one at a time. (have done this three times now) and then load to the radio and it won't transmit. When I go into. I've read through the manual and don't even see in the settings where you change the transmit/not transmit settings. 

The 50x1 and v1 also program with chirp..on those there simply isn't a software setting for transmit or no transmit, it's set in the firmware and I've not found a way to override that. I will note my uv5r based radio have a "tx disable" setting on a band-wide basis, vhf and uhf.  In the case of your gt5r, does baofeng have their own software for it?  If it's a very recently certified version, it may be that the chirp isn't quite compatible with the new firmware needed to lock it down for part 95 certification.

38 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Unless Baofeng has changed its model numbers, the GT5R is not a GMRS radio. I have one which is 2 meter and 70 cm only. Here’s what Baofeng says on their website:

[Better Choice for Entry Level] 100% legal version of UV-5R. GT-5R transmits only on 144-148MHz 420-450MHz, complies with FCC Equipment Rule, and would not obstruct other important public services. You can verify the frequency and enjoy a band talk at will, but never worry about goofing with authorities. Keep in mind that you NEED A LICENSE to broadcast. 

That lines up with the info I found on radioddity.com as well. 2m/70cm only, rx only outside that.

Wow. Guess I shouldn't take things off of YouTube without checking them out first. Thank you very much. Saves me continuing trying to make it do what it doesn't do. I do have the Wouxun UV9GX GMRS radio on order which I should get within the next several weeks. I do have that license so I'll just wait for that one to arrive. I'm also studying for my HAM license so maybe I'll be able to use the GT-5R radio for that once I get that license. I'll get better equipment once I learn enough to warrant it. Thank you all for that information. Was about to bang my head on my desk. ?

You can reset the radio by turning it off first, then hold down the

PTT+Monitor+VFO button

and simply turn it back on while still holding those buttons down. Boom you just unlocked the UV5r all models that had a block put on them. 

Edited by WRTL671
More detail on instruction

Noticed someone mentioned "not water proof".  I have 2 Baofeng GMRS-9R that are supposed to be water proof to 1 meter. IP67 I believe is the designation. They are great,  they work with CHIRP. Just ordered a 3rd one.  They have several DIY channels.