Kenwood TK-8160 asking for password to read and to write, but will not let me type in the password box

WRMS528

Question

I got TK-8160 off e-bay (contacted seller, he is not a radio person & cant give me any technical advise).   Upon opening KPG-99D software the radio will not let me read or write, as its asking for a password.  I do not have the password.  But the bigger problem seems to be that, even if I did.  It will not let me type in the password box.  There is a flashing cursor as there should be , but it will not place any characters on the screen when I type.  Also, will not accept anything copied & pasted.  This happens both with the read password & the write password.  It just sits there with the blinking cursor.  I have tried searching this forum, but could not find this specific problem.   I would rather use the Kenwood software to program, but if I cant get around it.  Would I be able to program with Chirp ? 

thanks for any help,  WRMS528

dgdgg.JPG

4 answers to this question

Have you ever used that same software to read another Kenwood radio? Has the programming cable ever been used to read/write?

Not sure why you can't type in the box, but beyond the "where did you get the software?" question - you've got a radio that you can't read or write to without a password.

I wouldn't throw the seller under the bus right away, but if the radio was sold on Ebay as "used" - and it's got a password that prevents the radio from being programmed, then it's up to the seller to provide a password and fix the problem or refund your money. If it was sold under "Parts, not working" then it's your problem.

For anyone who finds this thread looking for this answer in the future.

I was able to get access to the password by using a new to me software key which let me read , but not write the radio.  Once I could read the radio , I was able to look up the password in the program.  Then with the password , I was able to write the radio. 

So, for me it took a special key to the software, the first key I had would not let me read the radio without the password. 

Thanks so much to the members of this forum !

Have used software & cable on one other tk-8160 successfully .

Lscott told me that Passwords for Kenwood radios are numeric only.   And that was it.  It prints asterisks now, before I was typing letters instead of numbers.  So, the problem now is that I just need a password, or a workaround. 

And, yes the seller had know idea, he is not a radio guy.  So, I don't fault him.  And would hate to ask for a refund.  Plus I would like to give this radio a new life !

thanks WRMS528