Introduction

WRTT642

Hello everybody, 

My name is William (WRTT642), I have lived in Alaska since 2012. As I have said before I am completely new to GMRS and radios in general, but I have been researching more about them and have become very interested in them. What really got me into looking into other forms of communication was last winter when we had that big wind storm down here in the valley and it knocked out my power for 3 1/2 days and the KFC lol! Not fun, especially when my youngest son was only 10 months old! So I started to take a couple things a little more serious and less for granted. Like communications for example, amongst other things. Love to hunt, hike, fish blah blah blah, all the typical Alaska stuff. Funny enough I don't physically own any radios yet. I have ordered 2 Baofeng UV9G and they will be here Tuesday. I do have C Crane CC Skywave SSB and love scanning through all the channels. I have a beautiful wonderful wife and four kids. My oldest son is about to join the Army in a few months so excited about that. My wife is awesome and is actually cool with me doing this whole radio thing. Next week Ill be pre ordering the Wouxun KG-UV9Gx. Cant wait for that. Well anyway got to head to Anchorage. Hope to hear from you all soon. Take care!

Hello I'm Rick I'm a Mat Su Valley guy off Fairview Loop in Wasilla. Looking to expand and learn more about GMRS. I'm a former military engineer and I currently work in Emergency Management and before that was a prepper, and semi professional firearm and outdoor gear reviewer. Looking forward to hearing you all on the nets 

• 1 month later...

Hi. Im jeff, down in the kenai area. Im a life long commercial fisherman. We've always had tons of radios and coms on fishing boats from cb,2meter,10meter,ssb, vhf, sat coms, you name it, so I've always like radios and after the 2018 earthquake then the covid stuff i decided to get into gmrs for all the options like repeaters and different antennas and not having to get ham tickets for me and the wife. Thats about it for my intro.

Anyone still catching coho?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 10:33 AM, WRVL467 said:

Hello there, I'm Connor from Eagle River. New to GMRS like the rest of you, but I'm trying to get my local friend group onboard as well. My primary use is for offroad comms and road trips, but I have been trying to monitor the Eagle River 575 repeater during the day.

Hey Connor! Nice to have you join this group. I have been away for awhile, but now I'm back and hopefully will get some more info updated on here. Keep your eyes out and welcome!

Just now, WRVV646 said:

I'm Ryan based out of Anchorage. New to GMRS myself and still figuring out everything and finding a working repeater in Anchorage seems to not exist unless someone can correct me on it.

Hey Ryan, thanks for joining the Alaska GMRS club. I have posted all known repeaters under the Alaska Repeater tab on the top of the page. If you click there it will show you all the repeaters that are up and running here. Check it out and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

1 minute ago, WRTT642 said:

Hey Ryan, thanks for joining the Alaska GMRS club. I have posted all known repeaters under the Alaska Repeater tab on the top of the page. If you click there it will show you all the repeaters that are up and running here. Check it out and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Actually I do if you you know if I have this is correctly set up for WRCA670 on 462.700 MHz?

Screenshot 2023-01-12 232621.png

Just now, WRVV646 said:

Copy that will give it a try in the morning monitoring throughout the day when I can.

Sounds good. Come back on tomorrow and see if you can hook up with any of the other members. I believe a couple of them live in Anchorage and Eagle River so maybe they can make a contact with you over the repeater. I plan on doing some meet ups once all this snow goes away, would be great to meet all you guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just joined the Club. Conner WRVL 467 let me know about the club. I didn't realize there was a place for GMRS clubs on the MyGMRS site. My not new to GMRS but always open to new information and ideas. There's always more to learn. I actually had a GMRS station in Kenai way back in the 1990's. It was pretty basic and there weren't any other users at that time. I then got into Amateur Radio. About 5 years ago I got back into GMRS while living in the Seattle area. There were quite a few repeaters in the area and were ECOM groups using those repeaters. The was a lot of activity on GMRS. One group was helping people study up (over the air) for the Amateur radio tests. I remember you could put out  a call anytime of the day and you would likely receive a reply. 

I have some info on the repeater situation here in Anchorage. The repeater owned by WRCA670, to the best of my knowledge, is not on the air. However, there is a repeater on the same channel with a tone of 100. Since about Oct of 2021 I have been trying to find who owns the repeater. There is no IDer. It appears to work fairly well all over Anchorage. I have made my calls on the channel but have never received a reply. 

Well it's nice to know there is a group of GMRSers in the area. Hope to chat with all sometime on the air waves!

Jim WQCG 563

Welcome! I'm glad you found our little group here. I am completely new to radio for the most part. I first received my GMRS license last year then I took the amateur radio test and passed the technician exam. So I do both now which I love doing. I am still trying to learn more about radios and how they operate as well as repeaters and antennas. I recently joined my local ham club here in the Valley called MARA, and I met some really nice people that have helped me out with understanding radio more. Recently went to club meeting a couple days ago and it went great and made some new friends. I really hope to maybe get all of us together here soon, we talked about maybe meeting up mid February, and we can all bring our radios and start getting something going with getting repeaters up and running to connect us all together. I will make some more post about it and start contacting everyone by the end of the first week of February. Hopefully there will be a day we can all meet up. 

Seems like you have a lot more experience in this then myself which I am open to any feed back you might have on how to accomplish a common goal here in Alaska. Any knowledge you have will be very valuable to us all so please feel free to post on here as much as you like. I stay up on the site and active a lot more now. Hope to hear from you more and any ideas you might have will be much appreciated. As myself being so new to radio there is a lot I am still learning and any knowledge you can pass on will be greatly appreciated and this goes for anyone else in our club. Sounds like everyone of you have more experience than me in this field so please feel free everyone to post ideas, thoughts, and comments on how we can get something going. Even though I started this club I don't take it as I am the owner of it, this is a group effort and see everyone of you as equal owners.   

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I just joined and by the looks of it, I’m not the only one new to GMRS. My name is Keith and I live in North Wasilla, specifically off of Vine road. I was born in Anchorage and raised out here in the valley. I haven’t purchased my first radio yet but will shortly. I work in the I.T. field as a system administrator and do commute to Anchorage. Looking forward to getting into this exciting new hobby.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:52 AM, wondergeekak said:

Hello everyone. I just joined and by the looks of it, I’m not the only one new to GMRS. My name is Keith and I live in North Wasilla, specifically off of Vine road. I was born in Anchorage and raised out here in the valley. I haven’t purchased my first radio yet but will shortly. I work in the I.T. field as a system administrator and do commute to Anchorage. Looking forward to getting into this exciting new hobby.

Glad to have you here. I am new to this as well, but there are some very knowledgeable people on here and that live in Alaska. I live out in Meadow Lakes so not too far from you. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:52 AM, wondergeekak said:

Thanks for joining! If you do end up getting a mobile rig, feel free to give me a shout sometime when you pass through Eagle River. I'm usually monitoring the Eagle River 575 repeater and channel 20.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.