Im new, need help w set up!

WRUB458

I think a few other users can vouch as well, they aren't necessarily the least expensive option, but I've had good dealings with https://used-radios.com/ , including via eBay (username Erac1). Bought 4 radios from them, zero issues, and quick to respond on a couple after sale questions I had.

15 minutes ago, WRUB458 said:

Well I did it. I purchased the Wouxun KG 1000 from buy two way radio. Done. That and my 905’s …antenna is all that left for the 1000….thoughts?

Congratulations!  I think you’ll enjoy it. 

This thread by another forum user makes the Tram 1486 antenna sound good:

It really depends on how you want to use your radios. If you only want to talk between work and your house, a directional antenna like a Yagi, on a mast at your house and pointed at your place of work might be just what you want. 
If you want to be able to travel in any direction around your house, you’ll want an omnidirectional antenna like the Tram. 
People even use magnetic mount vehicle antennas on steel pizza pans. 
Half the fun is figuring it all out. 

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

It really depends on how you want to use your radios. If you only want to talk between work and your house, a directional antenna like a Yagi, on a mast at your house and pointed at your place of work might be just what you want. 
If you want to be able to travel in any direction around your house, you’ll want an omnidirectional antenna like the Tram. 
People even use magnetic mount vehicle antennas on steel pizza pans. 
Half the fun is figuring it all out. 

Whichever antenna or mount you decide to use, the key is to mount it as high as possible as height increases the range you will cover when transmitting.

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Worth mentioning is that you'd want that Yagi oriented for vertical polarization to match mobile or HT orientation, not horizontal (like old TV antennas tended to use).