GMRS; Wouxun, KG-935G programing.

WQZQ295

Question

I have two Wouxun KG-935G radios.  I am able to talk/chat on the pre-program GMRS frequencies.  Although, when I program the radios using ( https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-935g.html ) programing, I am unable to Rx.  I not even sure if I am Tx as well or If I am programing it all right.  There is three repeaters I have permission to use and I want to program (see below) them.  I also want to be able to chat with other radios and they use chirp.  Also, I have a RT-97 mobile repeater I want to use. Wouxun uses their own program, which looks exactly like chirp.  Any help advice would be greatly appreciated, thank-you!

I have two Baofeng UV-5G and one Retcvis RT97 repeater.  

I have permission GEM700, Emmet Idaho, Seeksafety, Meridian Idaho and one more in Mountain Home, Idaho.

I tried to remove the Hyper Link, sorry!

5 answers to this question

I haven't attempted to program the RT97 yet.  I still need to get a few more things.

I am using the KG-935G's software to program.  My problem is ether; I am not programming it right; or I am not transmitting.  I program both of my 932G's and when you Tx through one, the other is not Rx.  I am still learning what all the selections you have in the program itself.  So, I'm lost.  If you lookup GEM700's repeater, it has a input Mhz and a different output Mhz.  Where would I put the information correctly?   I also have two Baofeng's UV-5G and I hope all of them will talk to each other.

15 hours ago, WQZQ295 said:

I haven't attempted to program the RT97 yet.  I still need to get a few more things.

I am using the KG-935G's software to program.  My problem is ether; I am not programming it right; or I am not transmitting.  I program both of my 932G's and when you Tx through one, the other is not Rx.  I am still learning what all the selections you have in the program itself.  So, I'm lost.  If you lookup GEM700's repeater, it has a input Mhz and a different output Mhz.  Where would I put the information correctly?   I also have two Baofeng's UV-5G and I hope all of them will talk to each other.

Under the Main Memory Group tab the 462.xxxx frequency would go in the RX Freq column and the 467.xxxx frequency would go in the TX Freq column. The RX CTCSS/DCS and TX CTCSS/DCS have their own column with pull down menus to set the required tones.

While testing your radios you might want to leave the RX CTCSS/DCS tone off on both radios until you are sure they are working. And as that other guy said try separating the radios. Are you sure you are hitting the repeater? If you are not you might want to get closer to it.

19 hours ago, WQZQ295 said:

If you are configuring repeaters, then your radios are not "talking to each other" -- they are "talking to" the repeater, and the repeater "talks to" the others.

For testing, you should maybe start with SIMPLEX channels (no repeaters) and ensure your radios can "talk to each other". Channels 8-14 are low power, so you should be able to get away with a few feet distance between units. Pick one from the factory configuration and play with the CTCSS codes (DO NOT modify frequencies, or bandwidth -- 8-14 are former FRS-only restricted to 0.5W NFM mode to reduce interference with repeater inputs).

Tx CTCSS means the radio will send the tone. Rx CTCSS means the radio expects to hear the tone. Rx None means it doesn't care if there is a tone or not on the received signal.

Your radios, for repeater access, will Tx 5MHz higher than the Rx frequency (467.xxx Tx for 462.xxx Rx). Presuming the page shown for your GEM 700 is correct, the configuration should look like:

image.thumb.png.4fd76cb76d0a397bddb3f6409bb5fa9a.png

{I'm a bit wary of those tones. 254.1 is the highest CTCSS tone available, and 250.3 is one tone below it -- almost like someone's mouse slipped when selecting from a list of tones -- if those don't seem to work [set Rx tone to NONE to ensure you receive anything coming back] you may need to try setting both to 254.1 OR 250.3. If you can hear other traffic with Rx tone NONE, try activating the KG-935 "tone scan" -- I set PF2-ShortPress to CTC-SCAN as you have to activate the scan while traffic is active -- it should, after a few moments of received traffic, lock onto the actual repeater output tone}

As for the RT-97... The key thing is that it will Tx on 462.xxx and Rx on 467.xxx (eg: swapped frequencies from what you program into the HT). There are only 8 GMRS repeater channels, so one will be duplicating some frequencies if filling the 16 channels the RT-97 supports. I set mine with 8 CTCSS variants, and 8 DCS variants -- between 8 frequencies, 8 varying CTCSS tones, and 8 varying DCS, it should be possible to find a combination in the field that doesn't interfere with "common" (FRS kiddies) channels and minimize interference from those that still are on the frequency.

image.thumb.png.81e0df64e36afed9a41bb10c369ac501.png