Very poor signal area

WRTH801

My Cross St.'s, E Chandler Hights and S Green Field and or Riggs and Higley. I have about 3:5 people new with GMRS in the area.

The communication is spotty at best but someone indicated a repeater (Private) but available for a small fee is in the area.

Does anyone know if this is true?  How would I make contact with its owner?

Bruce WRTH801

Welcome to GMRS and this Forum:

I'd ask you what radio are you using, but this question seems to be a bit controversial on this Forum!?

Mesa 725Mesa 650 and Rebel 725

It looks like Mesa 725 is inactive but the links to the two other repeaters have Requests for Access (permission).  However many time these requests are ignored, so I like to go onto the Repeater and ask directly about its usability.

Thanks MichealLAX

The small group of us all have handheld GMRS radios that have some Ham but non of us are licensed Ham Operators.

We have heard indirectly that a private repeater in somewhere around us but can't seem to locate (private for a fee were told).

Mesa 725, 650 and rebel are no players in our location.

Sometime I get to send and receive and I turn around literally and nothing.

Suggestion always appreciated Micheal.

Bruce WRTH801 Gilbert AZ 

One way that I've found repeaters is by setting a GMRS radio listening on one repeater output frequency for a few days with a VOX activated recorder plugged into it. After a day or so I'll listen to the recording. When I hear morse code, I'll take that segment of the recording and either look at it in an audio application (you can pretty easily spot the dots and dashes in the waveform graph) or upload that segment into a morse code translator. That gives me a call sign, which maps back to an individual, and in some cases can help me find the repeater's listing in mygmrs.com.

After a day on one frequency, I'll move on to the next. After a week I'm almost done. With this method I've found three repeaters that I hadn't noticed before.

You might try that; record each repeater output channel for awhile and listen for morse code identifying the callsign of repeater owners.

3 hours ago, WRQW589 said:

One way that I've found repeaters is by setting a GMRS radio listening on one repeater output frequency for a few days with a VOX activated recorder plugged into it. After a day or so I'll listen to the recording. When I hear morse code, I'll take that segment of the recording and either look at it in an audio application (you can pretty easily spot the dots and dashes in the waveform graph) or upload that segment into a morse code translator. That gives me a call sign, which maps back to an individual, and in some cases can help me find the repeater's listing in mygmrs.com.

After a day on one frequency, I'll move on to the next. After a week I'm almost done. With this method I've found three repeaters that I hadn't noticed before.

You might try that; record each repeater output channel for awhile and listen for morse code identifying the callsign of repeater owners.

Seems to me that if you are looking for call-sign ID to then check a listing of repeaters, you might save some time if the radio has a scanning function -- it's unlikely that multiple repeaters would be sending an ID on the same minute. Granted this does mean you have check for owner and repeater listings showing that owner/call over all eight repeater frequencies rather than isolating to one frequency per day.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, WRTH801 said:

My Cross St.'s, E Chandler Hights and S Green Field and or Riggs and Higley. I have about 3:5 people new with GMRS in the area.

The communication is spotty at best but someone indicated a repeater (Private) but available for a small fee is in the area.

Bruce WRTH801

Have you tried the Towers Mtn 575 ? Towers Mtn is up in Crown King but has a very large coverage area, Shaw Butte 725 also has fairly good coverage in the valley but can be hit or miss depending on your location. Both free to use. I am in Apache Junction.

22 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Seems to me that if you are looking for call-sign ID to then check a listing of repeaters, you might save some time if the radio has a scanning function -- it's unlikely that multiple repeaters would be sending an ID on the same minute. Granted this does mean you have check for owner and repeater listings showing that owner/call over all eight repeater frequencies rather than isolating to one frequency per day.

That's really the why: I don't have a way of identifying what frequency the scanner was on when the recorder captured some output unattended. So it's just easier in my case to focus on one frequency at a time, and let it take however long I feel like leaving it running unattended. 

On 9/6/2022 at 11:44 AM, WRTH801 said:

Bruce WRTH801

What state are you in? This is a national forum.