Retevis RT97

WQZQ295

Provided the antenna is properly tuned to the GMRS frequencies AND your cable/connector losses are low, you should see a marked increase in Rx and Tx over "some" 1/4 and 1/2 wavelength antennas.  There is a lot of math and physics that go into any perceptible difference in distance and quality of comms.  Probably the most important element to consider is "line of sight" based on your height ASL.

Good luck

4 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I would not. Buy a real antenna and cable. The antenna is the most important part of a repeater. Manage expectations. You wont talk 50 miles with a JPole (well unless your at 5000'). Remember the RT is low power =/- 5 watts. Shorted antenna line and antenna they better.

So a j-pole isn’t a “real antenna?”

What’re the deficiencies? 

(Genuine interest- I have a lot of copper pipe and thought I’d experiment)

10 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

So a j-pole isn’t a “real antenna?”

What’re the deficiencies? 

(Genuine interest- I have a lot of copper pipe and thought I’d experiment)

I probably answered this myself. “The efficiency of a j antenna falls off rapidly as the operating frequency is raised.”

https://books.google.com/books?id=_lUrAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=quarter+wave+whip+vs+zepp&source=bl&ots=NaZVS10MdL&sig=ACfU3U3ZksxDFNcMl90bI_yGzoXgOg_KHQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjg9-WLm4j6AhXMJDQIHW-5B4AQ6AF6BAg2EAI#v=onepage&q=quarter wave whip vs zepp&f=false