Radio and Repeater question

Cpch64

<--Newbie to GMRS

I setup a Btech 50x1 Base station with Ed Fong J Pole UHF single band antenna using LMR 400 coax.  Checked out the setup with SWR meter and came back with a 1.01 reading.  The question is if I change the Btech out with the Wouxun KG-1000G will that change the performance of anything or is it just a feature upgrade as far as the radios go.

The second question is that I requested access to a local repeater on the MYGMRS site and it looks like it was approved.  The only thing I'm unsure of is that it does not show any tone information.  Should there be input and output tones listed?  I did try radio check on the repeater frequency but no response.

Thanks,

I have a KG1000 connected to an Ed Fong GMRS antenna via a 60Ft length of LMR600 (premade cable).  Its SWR on ch 18 low power is 1.00.  Same channel on high power is 1.37.  Forward power on HI shows 51.04W and rearward shows 1.28W. [double checked just a few minutes ago]

Monday morning QB'ing here on my choice of LMR600 and why I'm changing it out to LMR400...the LMR600 is simply [physically] too big/heavy and unless you have a way to support it as it feeds into the radio's antenna port, it places too much downward torque stress and may cause damage.

I think you'll be happy with that combo...KG1000/LMR400/EF GMRS antenna.

Welcome to the exciting and dynamic world of the GMRS!

As to your questions:

A: It is a feature upgrade for sure. Both are rated as up to 50W radios, but in my experience (with multiple 50X1 radios and several KG-1000G radios) you will likely be getting more power from your KG1000G.  Every 50X1 I've measured put out 39W or LESS, every KG1000G put out at least 45W.. You probably wont notice any difference in fars, but more is better

B: There should be at least an input tone

Welcome to GMRS and the forum!

2 hours ago, Cpch64 said:

The question is if I change the Btech out with the Wouxun KG-1000G will that change the performance of anything or is it just a feature upgrade as far as the radios go.

There shouldn't be any 'noticeable' change to RF performance.  Any measurable notice will likely be for the better.  Just swapping radios should not impact your SWR or antenna performance.

The KG-1000G is a nicer radio with regard to features and both 50x1's I had were under powered.  They ran a tad hot too.  Just my opinion, the KG-1000G sounds a bit nicer on the other end, too.

2 hours ago, Cpch64 said:

The second question is that I requested access to a local repeater on the MYGMRS site and it looks like it was approved.  The only thing I'm unsure of is that it does not show any tone information.  Should there be input and output tones listed?  I did try radio check on the repeater frequency but no response.

What repeater are you looking at?  We can look at the listing for you and see if it appears differently. 

Keep in mind that you have to sign-in to https://mygmrs.com/ separately from https://forums.mygmrs.com/, otherwise the tones for private machines needing approval to use, will not have the tone displayed.  However, after you login, they should be listed.

2 hours ago, goodoz said:

Its SWR on ch 18 low power is 1.00.  Same channel on high power is 1.37.

Your SWR should not change with increase in power.  If it does, something is wrong with your system.  Either a bad antenna, bad cable or incorrect length of cable, bad connectors, etc.  You may even have water inside the coax.

What repeater are you looking at?  We can look at the listing for you and see if it appears differently. 

Keep in mind that you have to sign-in to https://mygmrs.com/ separately from https://forums.mygmrs.com/, otherwise the tones for private machines needing approval to use, will not have the tone displayed.  However, after you login, they should be listed.

Keep in mind that you have to sign-in to https://mygmrs.com/ separately from https://forums.mygmrs.com/, otherwise the tones for private machines needing approval to use, will not have the tone displayed.  However, after you login, they should be listed.

I logged into both MYGMRS and forums but still not seeing any input and output info.  There is a green check mark located above approved requests.

Repeater Name = BYU-700 located in Thibodaux LA

Thanks

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

Your SWR should not change with increase in power.  If it does, something is wrong with your system.  Either a bad antenna, bad cable or incorrect length of cable, bad connectors, etc.  You may even have water inside the coax.

Well it's not water as both ends are indoors (HOA/Attic Install for antenna).  The cable did come terminated in N-Connectors and I have a PL259 converter on each end.  The antenna is a Fong...so I don't think there's anything I can try there.  I'm in very hilly terrain...long mountain ridges 300+ feet higher than the antenna in both directions I need to transmit but I'm still punching through (out to 3 miles which meets "emergency" needs).   Question from a newbie base station operator:  1.37 isn't "terrible," right?  Am I risking damage?  Any ideas are appreciated.

30 minutes ago, goodoz said:

1.37 isn't "terrible," right?  Am I risking damage?  Any ideas are appreciated.

It's actually fantastic.  Anything under 1.5 is great. Over time, I would keep an eye on it, is all.  Make sure it doesn't creep up on you. 

2:1 or less is good, less than 3:1 is safe to use but not ideal.  3:1 or higher and I would stop using it until its resolved.

The attic install may be where the shift is coming from.  If there is something metal within 2 or 3 feet that is larger than about 5"-6", it may be giving you a bit of resonance.  Not a big deal though.  As I mention, just make sure it doesn't get worse over time.

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

Welcome to GMRS and the forum!

There shouldn't be any 'noticeable' change to RF performance.  Any measurable notice will likely be for the better.  Just swapping radios should not impact your SWR or antenna performance.

The KG-1000G is a nicer radio with regard to features and both 50x1's I had were under powered.  They ran a tad hot too.  Just my opinion, the KG-1000G sounds a bit nicer on the other end, too.

Keep in mind that you have to sign-in to https://mygmrs.com/ separately from https://forums.mygmrs.com/, otherwise the tones for private machines needing approval to use, will not have the tone displayed.  However, after you login, they should be listed.

SWR shouldn’t change with power output, but at low power and a low SWR it’s possible the reflected power is simply below the threshold of detection. 

36 minutes ago, Cpch64 said:

I logged into both MYGMRS and forums but still not seeing any input and output info.  There is a green check mark located above approved requests.

Repeater Name = BYU-700 located in Thibodaux LA

Thanks

I'm seeing the same thing.  You may need to email the owner and ask them what it is.

3 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

SWR shouldn’t change with power output, but at low power and a low SWR it’s possible the reflected power is simply below the threshold of detection. 

Good point.  I forgot some meters need at least 5w to give any reverse reading. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Puppage said:

How do you find out if there’s any repeaters in your area? 

Go to the Repeaters page in this Forum and in Advanced, click on both Show Stale Repeaters and Show Offline Repeaters. 

Then Click Near Me; you may have to enter your City and State in Search before clicking Near Me.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 12.14.10 PM.png

Since this tread showed back up I thought I would respond to what actually happened.  I was reading the answer to the request wrong (imagine that).  The request was pending but the owner finally responded with a denial due to testing.  I do appreciate the help though.