Lonely times in Abilene Texas

WRUM511

Super stoked about my Midland MXT275 and how cleanly i installed it in my Gladiator! Ever day i put it on scan mode on my way to work and home. I guess I'm the only one in my area with a GMRS setup. There is one repeater in my area. I sent a request to have access to it hoping that i will be smart enough to use the proper ctcss code to at least hear something,  some radio chatter or SOMETHING!  I also bought a little Baofeng GM 15 when i bought my Midland. My son and i have talked back and forth some and itvis super fun and will be really handy when camping and wheeling. I just wish there was more going on in my area. Anyone in the same boat?  Should i take a short road trip to a nearby repeater and see if i can rx and tx?

20220912_182301.jpg

20220912_182336.jpg

20220912_182420.jpg

20220912_182330.jpg

20220912_182356.jpg

20220912_182323.jpg

Personally -- I'd want the antenna to be /above/ metal, not alongside it (at best that metal is acting as a reflector and most of your signal is going out to the left side).

As for hearing traffic on the repeater -- just don't set a CTCSS (or DCS) tone in the receive slot for the frequency. With no Rx tone specified, you've told the radio to accept ANY signal (repeater or simplex) on the frequency.

{Need to figure out why DB20-G* won't scan enabled channels} With the MXT115 I had installed (need to strip out power lead and create a new power lead with disconnect for new radio) scanning only hit on one repeater, and that one is owned by the city of Grand Rapids (grandfathered business license) seemingly managing parking lots in downtown (gates stuck up, payment machines not accepting cash/cards, etc. is most traffic) -- it is not open to public; Lots of shrieking kiddies on old bubble-pack GMRS/FRS units ("LET GO OF THAT CALL BUTTON! No one can answer you while you keep ringing")

* Replacing MXT115 in order to get additional slots for repeater configuration [though nine slots is still limited] and real (wide) FM on GMRS channels -- the only channels that are NFM in the regulations are the 467MHz interstitials (#8-#14 in consolidated scheme), but as those are also 0.5W ERP and no mobile rig goes that low (or lower as a gain antenna will violate the ERP spec). Midland MXT series were all NFM (on the argument that most users are matching up with FRS radios -- FRS is NFM even on GMRS main channels). However, not happy with DB20-G power output -- I returned the first one due to low power, but the replacement matches it. It is sold as 20W, manual says it is 18W, and my meter is showing only 11.8W on 467MHz (repeater) channels -- the 15W MXT115 shows 12.6 across both Simplex and Repeater channels so the Midland is closer to truthful.

7 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Personally -- I'd want the antenna to be /above/ metal, not alongside it (at best that metal is acting as a reflector and most of your signal is going out to the left side).

As reference that piece is plastic where his antenna is mounted. There is metal behind it but the cover is plastic. 

In the jeep world many antenna's are mounted in that location and work ok. Remember the ghost antenna is like a dummy load. Works fine for close by or a proper repeater but not much more. 

Its not uncommon to not hear boo on GMRS. GMRS is not ham. Its for short private comms. On the trail it will work great with other users on the trail. I live in the country. I have a DB404 on a 60' pole and scan all the GMRS main channels. I hear nothing except a hunter or two now and then.