Programming and talking. Chirp/GMRS, Baofeng vs Wouxun Radios. And one GMRS repeater!

WQZQ295

People/Team;

I have various GMRS radios and one GMRS repeater i.e. one MXT400 Midland GMRS radio, two Wouxun’s KG-935G, two Baofeng’s UV-5G, and one Revitas RT-97 repeater.  I am trying to get them all to talk to each other on a frequency within the regulated parameters, of course!  But yet a little more private.  For example; 467.6000MHz, input tone 250.3Hz, output tone 154.3Hz.  How would I get all of these working/talking to each other?  Also is there a way to split the GMRS frequencies with two freqs. and two input/output tones and still Rx &Tx?  If so, how?

I also have permission to use a local GMRS repeater in my area.  SeekSafety; 462.5500MHz, input tone 141.3Hz, output tone 141.3Hz.  I want to program my two radios as well with the freq.  mentioned above.  And if possible I would like to program my RT-97 repeater.  And I have permission on another local repeater; GEM700; 462.700MHz, input tone 250.3Hz and output tone 254.1 Hz. 

I am a somewhat new-confused chirp user.  Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thank-you!

Thank-you for your help and patients with me.  Be safe!

Shannon/WQZQ295

P.S. I am also new at this Forum thing.

Edited by WQZQ295
grammer

21 minutes ago, WQZQ295 said:

Also is there a way to split the GMRS frequencies with two freqs. and two input/output tones and still Rx &Tx?  If so, how?

WELCOME!

The Rules aside, you can accomplish this, but only two people can talk to each other simplex over split frequencies, it will not work with a 3rd or more.

4 hours ago, WQZQ295 said:

People/Team;

I have various GMRS radios and one GMRS repeater i.e. one MXT400 Midland GMRS radio, two Wouxun’s KG-935G, two Baofeng’s UV-5G, and one Revitas RT-97 repeater.  I am trying to get them all to talk to each other on a frequency within the regulated parameters, of course!  But yet a little more private.  For example; 467.6000MHz, input tone 250.3Hz, output tone 154.3Hz.  How would I get all of these working/talking to each other?  Also is there a way to split the GMRS frequencies with two freqs. and two input/output tones and still Rx &Tx?  If so, how?

I also have permission to use a local GMRS repeater in my area.  SeekSafety; 462.5500MHz, input tone 141.3Hz, output tone 141.3Hz.  I want to program my two radios as well with the freq.  mentioned above.  And if possible I would like to program my RT-97 repeater.  And I have permission on another local repeater;

For the RT97, the INPUT/Rx frequencies will be 467.xxxMHz, the OUTPUT/Tx frequencies will be 462.xxxMHz (xxx being the same for input and output: 467.550->462.550). Tone codes, if not the same, are also reversed.

467.600 is a repeater input frequency -- do you have a repeater on that frequency? If not you want both input and output set to 462.600 (except for repeaters, none of those radios receive 467.xxx frequencies -- with one exception; the former FRS-only #8-14, which are limited to 0.5W ERP, and NFM). Note that for simplex (radio to radio -- no repeater involved) you will need to use the SAME tones on TX and RX if you want general inter-unit communication.

For the most part, GMRS radios are simplex (radio to radio) or duplex (radio to repeater to radio). GMRS duplex is always a 5MHz offset (your receive 462.xxx + 5MHz => 467.xxx). When you exclude the 467MHz interstitials (I know of no mobile unit that includes them, as their low power is 5W) their are only 15 total simplex channels (and 1-7 are limited to 5W) and you are asking to tie up two of them at once. A radio with dual monitor might be used, receive on "B" transmit on "A". But you will run into the same problem as with mixed tones on simplex -- no general inter-unit communication.

There is NO privacy on GMRS (nor Amateur) -- neither are permitted encryption. TONES only mean YOU do not hear others unless they send the tone. Any radio on the frequency with no tones set will hear ALL traffic.

4 hours ago, WQZQ295 said:

Shannon/WQZQ295

Another Shannon? ?

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

For the RT97, the INPUT/Rx frequencies will be 467.xxxMHz, the OUTPUT/Tx frequencies will be 462.xxxMHz (xxx being the same for input and output: 467.550->462.550). Tone codes, if not the same, are also reversed.

467.600 is a repeater input frequency -- do you have a repeater on that frequency? If not you want both input and output set to 462.600 (except for repeaters, none of those radios receive 467.xxx frequencies -- with one exception; the former FRS-only #8-14, which are limited to 0.5W ERP, and NFM). Note that for simplex (radio to radio -- no repeater involved) you will need to use the SAME tones on TX and RX if you want general inter-unit communication.

For the most part, GMRS radios are simplex (radio to radio) or duplex (radio to repeater to radio). GMRS duplex is always a 5MHz offset (your receive 462.xxx + 5MHz => 467.xxx). When you exclude the 467MHz interstitials (I know of no mobile unit that includes them, as their low power is 5W) their are only 15 total simplex channels (and 1-7 are limited to 5W) and you are asking to tie up two of them at once. A radio with dual monitor might be used, receive on "B" transmit on "A". But you will run into the same problem as with mixed tones on simplex -- no general inter-unit communication.

There is NO privacy on GMRS (nor Amateur) -- neither are permitted encryption. TONES only mean YOU do not hear others unless they send the tone. Any radio on the frequency with no tones set will hear ALL traffic.

Another Shannon? ?

We’re everywhere!