another newbie...pls and ty

brokenyoke

hello all,

new grms user here, thought I would say hello as it's proper. I just got two new wouxun kg-935-g radios for overlanding and am looking

forward to yet another rabbit hole to follow. almost surprised I was able to program half the repeaters in maine on a laptop in less than a hour.

CJ. - wruv937

21 hours ago, WRUU925 said:

I am also new here and just got me a wouxun kg 935g but only found one 40 w repeater 10 miles from me but haven't programmed it in yet, I got to do everything manually no computer.

Welcome!  I got my HAM license about 18 months ago and spent a fair amount of time learning to manually program some amateur repeaters by hand before it became 2nd nature.  For larger banks of repeaters I do use a program and cable.

My Wouxun KG-UV9GX is still on backorder - and likely will be for another 6 weeks or so.

Wow, three of y'all new folks with new KG935g's, IP66 rated radios.   You make this "newbie to this forum" blush with my two little $40 Radioddity GM-30s, which are not IP66 rated and melt like the wicked-witch-of-the-west in rain.  Those are great radios (according the Youtube Reviews I've listened to); hope you enjoy 'em!   

I am also new here. Fun to see some call signs close to mine. I picked up a Baufeng UV-9G for my first radio and dove in with Chirp pretty quick and have programed some local repeaters in it successfully along with some local scanner channels. I have a wish list that includes the KG-UV9GX. With the backorder issue I thought to start out with something I could readily get (I was impatient, lol).  It also didn't hurt that the price tag was cheep while getting my feet wet (IP67). So far I am pleased and enjoying learning about it all and can see adding more in the future. Those KG935g's look to be a nice radio.  GL - WRUU653

Hi also a new guy on the block have two Wouxun KG935G and two Wouxun KG 805G  I have not yet tried to program them for

the repeaters that I have found near me and I also do not have a computer but see that the 935G have all 8 repeater channels
and that you only need to go in and select the repeater channel that matches up with one of the already loaded repeater channels and

set radio in frequency mode select repeater channel then go to the repeater function and turn it on so I think even can handle that LOL.

SO Hi and I hope to pick up some new ideas and friends along the way 

5 hours ago, winterhawk said:

Hi also a new guy on the block have two Wouxun KG935G and two Wouxun KG 805G  I have not yet tried to program them for

the repeaters that I have found near me and I also do not have a computer but see that the 935G have all 8 repeater channels
and that you only need to go in and select the repeater channel that matches up with one of the already loaded repeater channels and

set radio in frequency mode select repeater channel then go to the repeater function and turn it on so I think even can handle that LOL.

Welcome!

17 hours ago, winterhawk said:

Better to save those for ad-hoc connections, in my opinion.

Program your local repeaters into channel slots 31-up... (yes, access to a computer, programming software, and programming cable will make it a lot easier -- especially when it comes to giving those channels meaningful names).

I have the software, so haven't actually tried programming a repeater via front panel. Based on skimming the manual:

• Set mode to VFO/Frequency
  • Set desired receive frequency (462.xxx MHz -- see manual for 15-22)
  • Set bandwidth (menu 3: Wide is normal)
  • Set "Repeater" (menu 4: enables repeater offset)
  • Set Rx/Tx tones (menu 9/10 for CTCSS, 11/12 for DCS)
  • Add a channel (menu 38 -- can't tell from manual if you get to pick the slot, or if it takes the first empty memory)
  • Set mode to Channel Name
  • Select the new channel
  • Edit channel name (menu 37)

45 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

Better to save those for ad-hoc connections, in my opinion.

Program your local repeaters into channel slots 31-up... (yes, access to a computer, programming software, and programming cable will make it a lot easier -- especially when it comes to giving those channels meaningful names).

I have the software, so haven't actually tried programming a repeater via front panel. Based on skimming the manual:

• Set mode to VFO/Frequency
  • Set desired receive frequency (462.xxx MHz -- see manual for 15-22)
  • Set bandwidth (menu 3: Wide is normal)
  • Set "Repeater" (menu 4: enables repeater offset)
  • Set Rx/Tx tones (menu 9/10 for CTCSS, 11/12 for DCS)
  • Add a channel (menu 38 -- can't tell from manual if you get to pick the slot, or if it takes the first empty memory)
  • Set mode to Channel Name
  • Select the new channel
  • Edit channel name (menu 37)

Here’s a link to some pdfs. PDF [1] has what you want

https://wa6bgs.us/faq.html

On 10/15/2022 at 1:11 PM, WRUQ282 said:

You make this "newbie to this forum" blush with my two little $40 Radioddity GM-30s

I ended up with a GM-30 as part of a package deal with a mobile VHF/UHF radio, and am actually pretty amazed at the abuse it will take. I am in the Pacific Northwest and have had that GM-30 get rain and moisture all over it, and it has held up well. The case has taken a few knocks too. I bet yours does just as well, and having a radio is the first step in using radios (hobby or pro). There are many I know that get a license and then never get a radio, they just wanted the piece of paper to put on the wall.