XTS5000 wont hold repeater...

Drumbic

Question

I am not sure what my XTS is doing, but it will not hold repeaters to talk.  When I key to talk, nothing; but I will get the beep back from the repeater as if I key chunked it.  It has been working just fine until recently.  Nothing has changed, I have not changed any setting since July (has been working fine) and a re-review of the programming everything looks correct.  I've tried with and without the remote mic attached; with stock and vehicle antenna - nothing. 

If I just regular non repeater channels, there is zero issues.

Personality, and channel programming, PLs, all look fine for the repeater channels, yet it wont hold it.   Amazingly, The UV5r used in my other hand, hits and hold just fine on a rubber ducky. 

Nothing has changed on the repeater side, same PLs blah blah.  

I am confused on what else it could be.... as it was working just fine and than all of a sudden it wants to throw a tantrum.  (Vehicle antenna = Midland Ghost and 6db, also tried a dual ban window mount; And the rubber ducky stock antenna)

13 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Drumbic said:

I am not sure what my XTS is doing, but it will not hold repeaters to talk.  When I key to talk, nothing; but I will get the beep back from the repeater as if I key chunked it.  It has been working just fine until recently.  Nothing has changed, I have not changed any setting since July (has been working fine) and a re-review of the programming everything looks correct.  I've tried with and without the remote mic attached; with stock and vehicle antenna - nothing. 

If I just regular non repeater channels, there is zero issues.

Personality, and channel programming, PLs, all look fine for the repeater channels, yet it wont hold it.   Amazingly, The UV5r used in my other hand, hits and hold just fine on a rubber ducky. 

Nothing has changed on the repeater side, same PLs blah blah.  

I am confused on what else it could be.... as it was working just fine and than all of a sudden it wants to throw a tantrum.  (Vehicle antenna = Midland Ghost and 6db, also tried a dual ban window mount; And the rubber ducky stock antenna)

It doesn’t seem to make sense that your radio works fine on simplex but fails on a repeater. Set your other radio to receive on the repeater input frequency but leave tones turned off and see if your transmission to the repeater is picked up by your other radio. 

31 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It doesn’t seem to make sense that your radio works fine on simplex but fails on a repeater. Set your other radio to receive on the repeater input frequency but leave tones turned off and see if your transmission to the repeater is picked up by your other radio. 

Second Radio (UV5r) manually entered to the Repeater Input 467.550 No tones, UV5r hears the XTS (no ptt dropoff or timeout); XTS does not hear the UV5r when keyed back.

Keying the repeater with tones from the XTS, the UV5r no tones, receives the beep from the repeater on 462.550. 

Keying 467.550 no tones from the UV5r, XTS hears nothing from the repeater.   

Repeater:

+5  (467.550)

136.5 input

pl2.PNG

pl1.PNG

18 minutes ago, Drumbic said:

Second Radio (UV5r) manually entered to the Repeater Input 467.550 No tones, UV5r hears the XTS (no ptt dropoff or timeout);

So your transmitter on the XTS is working fine. 
Now set the receive tone on the UV5R to match the repeater input tone. Try it again. If you don’t receive the transmission then your transmit tone is wrong on the XTS. If you receive the transmission then there’s nothing wrong with your transmission. 

53 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

So your transmitter on the XTS is working fine. 
Now set the receive tone on the UV5R to match the repeater input tone. Try it again. If you don’t receive the transmission then your transmit tone is wrong on the XTS. If you receive the transmission then there’s nothing wrong with your transmission. 

No changes to the XTS Repeater channel/personality.

UV5r 462.550, 136.5; XTS hears UV5r.  UV5r does not hear XTS.   

UV5r 467.550, 136.5; UV5r hears XTS.  XTS does not hear UV5r.

Not though the repeater.

21 minutes ago, Drumbic said:

No changes to the XTS Repeater channel/personality.

UV5r 462.550, 136.5; XTS hears UV5r.  UV5r does not hear XTS.   

UV5r 467.550, 136.5; UV5r hears XTS.  XTS does not hear UV5r.

The fact that your UV5R receives the XTS when the tone is cleared out but not when a receive tone of 136.5 is set strongly suggests that the XTS isn’t sending a 136.5 Hz tone. 

Same for the second paragraph. The fact that your XTS isn’t expecting a 136.5 Hz tone. 
Try using your UV5R to scan for the tone your XTS is actually sending. Randy has a good video explaining how to:

XTS set to 462.550, (set three different PLs to test) on the transmit PL, UV5r picked each up to their correct setting on the XTS.   

Doing the same on the receive PL, same thing, UV5r picked up the set PLs.

This one has me baffled....   Why would the XTS work simplex, without issue... but anything repeater it is throwing a tantrum.

23 minutes ago, Drumbic said:

XTS set to 462.550, (set three different PLs to test) on the transmit PL, UV5r picked each up to their correct setting on the XTS.   

Doing the same on the receive PL, same thing, UV5r picked up the set PLs.

This one has me baffled....   Why would the XTS work simplex, without issue... but anything repeater it is throwing a tantrum.

If you’re certain the tone is correct then I would look at either the offset or the direction.  
Look at one thing at a time until you’re certain that it’s correct. 
Set the transmit to the correct frequency and tone. Listen with the Baofeng to the transmit frequency to make sure you’re transmitting. 
Switch the Baofeng to the receive frequency (no tone) and try again. 
Set receive on the XTS to the correct frequency but leave the tone clear. It should receive other people’s transmissions or a transmission from the Baofeng to the repeater. 
Only after all the above works reliably should you try to set a receiver tone. 
I doubt that I have anything more to suggest. Sorry I couldn’t help more.