Dayton OH Area Repeaters....

WRUZ627

I apologize if redundant....I'm new to GMRS and searching in vain for repeaters. I'm one of the those Ham radio licensee (Extra Class) guys that's expanding my interests. I'm not a know it all or a jerk by any measure. Retired Military Wounded Warrior and Dad... I hear plenty of repeaters in my area of Huber Heights (45424) but there is very few listed on this site. The two i found are a ways out but i secured permission to use them...i really want to find the local 650 repeater so i can participate on the nets i hear..(family fun net ect)..sadly, i cant find any info on it or ask for permission to use ;-( I also have a large family here in town but spread out. Ideally i would also want to use a repeater as an alternate communication tool for emergencies...any thoughts?  WRUZ627

• WRUZ627 changed the title to Dayton OH Area Repeaters....

You are more than like hearing this repeater. It's part in the Midwest gmrs network. Please give the repeater owner a few weeks to reply to your request. This is his busy time a year for work. 

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4934

It's about 60 miles from you but it is a commercial repeater. If you have a good base station setup you should be able to get into it because I've heard others from Dayton area. 

Connersville 650 is the closest repeater to Dayton that's a linked machine.

I don't believe that you can reach the Johnstown 600 but you are welcome to try. 

I know I can hear it on and off near Springfield from a mobile.  If you have the height and the antenna get it a try. 

PL is listed on here.  Next closest is Indy though.  Not sure if you can make that or not.  Be mindful of the PL in use on both repeaters.  If you want to experiment try the Johnstown 675 repeater.  It's not linked but has the same coverage footprint. If you can make that you will make the 600. 

I don't know what the PL is for Indy.  Hoping it's not the same as mine. 

If you have a decent location for a repeater, let me know and we can look at getting a linked repeater in your area.

Minimum of 100 foot of antenna height, Internet access.  Little or no cost for access.

11 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

I don't believe that you can reach the Johnstown 600 but you are welcome to try. 

I know I can hear it on and off near Springfield from a mobile.  If you have the height and the antenna get it a try. 

PL is listed on here.  Next closest is Indy though.  Not sure if you can make that or not.  Be mindful of the PL in use on both repeaters.  If you want to experiment try the Johnstown 675 repeater.  It's not linked but has the same coverage footprint. If you can make that you will make the 600. 

If you have a decent location for a repeater, let me know and we can look at getting a linked repeater in your area.

Minimum of 100 foot of antenna height, Internet access.  Little or no cost for access.

Geographicaly, its a good location but im on a small lot with no tower. I hear a super clear repeater used on 575...the Tipp City one gives some coverage but a test yesterday showed week coverage for family just a few miles away...who ever ckntrols the 575 repeater must be close...its wicked strong all over town.

11 hours ago, WRCQ487 said:

You are more than like hearing this repeater. It's part in the Midwest gmrs network. Please give the repeater owner a few weeks to reply to your request. This is his busy time a year for work. 

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4934

It's about 60 miles from you but it is a commercial repeater. If you have a good base station setup you should be able to get into it because I've heard others from Dayton area. 

I think your correct,  i tried this one yesterday,  i was told im all static but hitting it...i hear better than i reach..

11 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

Ill try thise 2 repeaters as well.

3 hours ago, WRUZ627 said:

I think your correct,  i tried this one yesterday,  i was told im all static but hitting it...i hear better than i reach..

You may want to check out a yegi antenna, I know quite a few that are very happy with this one. 

https://www.solidsignal.com/pctel-450-470-mhz-12-25db-12-element-yagi-antenna-mya45012

Also good LMR400 coax is a must if you are on the frange of a repeater. 

Thank You all for you help! i have a pending request in for the 2 Dayton (575,700) repeaters, secured permission for the MIA-675 and Tip 625. If i get the 2 Dayton ones, ill be set! I couldnt find the 2 dayton ones as they show up on here in Columbus! Anyway, thanks for you help! hope to hear you on the Air soon 

WRUZ627/N6VF TSGT.(Ret) Zink, Rodger

2 hours ago, WRUZ627 said:

Thank You all for you help! i have a pending request in for the 2 Dayton (575,700) repeaters, secured permission for the MIA-675 and Tip 625. If i get the 2 Dayton ones, ill be set! I couldnt find the 2 dayton ones as they show up on here in Columbus! Anyway, thanks for you help! hope to hear you on the Air soon 

WRUZ627/N6VF TSGT.(Ret) Zink, Rodger

what, you were asking about Dayton Linked repeaters.  If you are in Columbus, you should be able to hit the Johnstown600 fairly easy

On 10/30/2022 at 8:42 PM, WRUZ627 said:

I apologize if redundant....I'm new to GMRS and searching in vain for repeaters. I'm one of the those Ham radio licensee (Extra Class) guys that's expanding my interests. I'm not a know it all or a jerk by any measure. Retired Military Wounded Warrior and Dad... I hear plenty of repeaters in my area of Huber Heights (45424) but there is very few listed on this site. The two i found are a ways out but i secured permission to use them...i really want to find the local 650 repeater so i can participate on the nets i hear..(family fun net ect)..sadly, i cant find any info on it or ask for permission to use ;-( I also have a large family here in town but spread out. Ideally i would also want to use a repeater as an alternate communication tool for emergencies...any thoughts?  WRUZ627

Welcome fellow Dayton area resident! I'm in the Beavercreek area and have gotten back into GMRS after getting some radios as well as MURS units for Scout camp communications. I'm intending to take the technician level ham exam at some point soon since I have enough know how to pass it easily. I'll need to study more to get the higher classes.

With a radio in scan mode I can hear the Tipp 625 repeater well in my area. I've heard very little out of Dayton 700 at all and have never caught the MIA-675. I was getting some digital mode on that freq a few weeks ago but have heard nothing since. At some point I will put in some requests for permission for the local repeaters.

On 10/30/2022 at 11:00 PM, WRKC935 said:

My house is on a nice high spot terrain wise, but I can't get you 100 feet of antenna height as I don't have a tower. I do take care of a low power FM radio station that's on a city owned tower with reasonable rental cost.

16 hours ago, catbrigade said:

I'm intending to take the technician level ham exam at some point soon since I have enough know how to pass it easily. I'll need to study more to get the higher classes.

Technician is the harder of the tests, at least in my experience. It's full of all the rigamarole rules as to band limits for various classes, and operational behavior... By the time you get to Extra, it's basically electronic theory.

Granted, my Tech license went back to when the No-Code Tech license came out, while I jumped to Extra when the code requirement was fully dropped. Spent two weeks with a General study guide, found an on-line practice exam site -- passed 10 out of 10. On a whim, tried the Extra segment -- with no study passed 7 of 10.

Went to a license session held two days later. Took both tests, passed (by 1 question on Extra). If I hadn't passed Extra, I had two weeks to study before the next test session.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, Coffeemaker said:

TippCity625 is a good repeater without much traffic.  I have been able to hit it as far south as I-75 and Needmore Rd with a 5 watt HT.  Seems like the operator told me the antenna was on a silo, so it's not really tall.  That makes it susceptible to the small hills in the area. 

That makes sense, I was monitoring it driving from Beavercreek to Xenia and I could definitely tell when there was terrain in the way. I got permission to use it but I haven't tried to hit it yet while out and about. He also suggested I should request the Dayton 700 repeater which I have heard very little traffic on at all.