Frequency Range

WRUT470

I am pretty new to GMRS and have been learning a lot. I have a KG 935 HT.  I have set it up & am using it with local repeaters along with simplex use. I understand the GMRS frequencies/channels & repeater frequencies/channels.

In reading the user manual my radio specs allow TX on GMRS frequencies. I also see it allows RX on 400-470MHz UHF & RX on 136-174MHz VHF. Can someone please explain these frequencies/ranges. I understand that I can only listen but are these frequencies for my local area in case of emergencies/storm information etc... or all over in any area?

Thanks!

The range between 400-470 has segments dedicated to a variety of uses. One of those uses is HAM 70cm (specifically, 420-450). Other uses include a portion of the GMRS/FRS range, some could be business use, and so on.  A useful HAM guide is https://www.arrl.org/band-plan

That guide would also cover the 2M amateur band, which falls within the 136-174 range you mentioned (more specifically, 144-148).

For a broader coverage of what might be found in the range of 400-470 and 136-174 you can look at https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf

For example, I believe Marine VHF are in the 156-157+ and 161-162+ range. But there are numerous services that will be found in various portions of the ranges you described. MURS is in the 151-154 range.