Midland MXT500 and Southwest Regional Net

Boatiac

Question

Good morning, I am VERY new to this. I am looking at a Midland MXT500. I have joined the Southwest Regional Net. I have 2 Btech mobile radios that are apparently "illegal" to run on GMRS, so looking at the Midland. I am already way over what I should have spent on equipment (due to my own ignorance). When reading what radios will work with repeater operation, the only Midland mentioned was the MXT400. I am assuming (which I've done too much of already) the 500 will work as well. I just want to be "legal" and not waste any more $$.

Thank you

Mike

3 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Yes, the mxt500 (and 575) are repeater capable. The information you saw that only mentioned the 400 may predate the introduction of the 500 & 575, as those were introduced somewhat recently compared to the 400.

Thank you "wayoverthere". About the same time you replied, I found my answer. Thank you again.

8 hours ago, Boatiac said:

Good morning, I am VERY new to this. I am looking at a Midland MXT500. I have joined the Southwest Regional Net. I have 2 Btech mobile radios that are apparently "illegal" to run on GMRS, so looking at the Midland. I am already way over what I should have spent on equipment (due to my own ignorance). When reading what radios will work with repeater operation, the only Midland mentioned was the MXT400. I am assuming (which I've done too much of already) the 500 will work as well. I just want to be "legal" and not waste any more $$.

Thank you

Mike

To my knowledge, ALL the MXT micro-mobiles support repeater usage (I have an MXT-115 -- it has repeater capability; it does not have added memory channels, so if one has to access two repeaters on the same frequency, one will have to remember what tones are currently assigned to that frequency/channel).

Go to Midland's web site, find the radio of interest, and download the PDF manual.

Note that the 115/275 units are NFM only (ie; FRS bandwidth, not GMRS (wide) FM bandwidth). I believe the top-end models had a firmware update that permits selecting bandwidth (again, check the manual).