Question in using my radio for GMRS and Work

Stripes

Hello Internet,

I have a EF Johnson 5100 that I use for GMRS and I also work in theater which uses UHF radios. I would like to know what I would need in order to appropriately use my personal radio for work so I can use my one radio for everything. I know at some point I saw a post about getting written permission from the operator but I cant find that post and im having a difficult time going through the book of the gods to find the information I need. I know the frequencies that are used and the house owner is okay with me doing this, but I want to make sure I do my due diligence in accordance with the rules.

Thanks you for the help and input to come :)

Based upon a Google search, it is an ancient (near 20 year old) design, that was certified for part 90 usage. Technically, it does not have part 95 certification, but back then most high-end GMRS radios likely were LMR/business radios.

Under /current/ part 95 rules, it may not be valid for GMRS (part 95 is confusing WRT part 90 radios -- as long as they don't allow Amateur band usage -- it may just mean new part 90 that do not allow Amateur bands may also be certified under part 95)

No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

Unclear on what is the difference between "house owner" vs "the operator"... If your "work" is using leased radios (or at least a leased repeater system provided by some radio service reseller, and said reseller is responsible for configuring the assigned radios, you will have to contact them... Especially if the radios are running in a digital [DMR?] mode as you will need a radio/user ID number provided by the reseller.

21 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Unclear on what is the difference between "house owner" vs "the operator"... If your "work" is using leased radios (or at least a leased repeater system provided by some radio service reseller, and said reseller is responsible for configuring the assigned radios, you will have to contact them... Especially if the radios are running in a digital [DMR?] mode as you will need a radio/user ID number provided by the reseller.

At the theatre, they have bought all there radios and are not leased, most of them are Kenwood TK-3302-U models. They use 464.xxxx in analog and the theatre/house owner is the licensee for the frequencies. We dont use a repeater but just 5 channels for our tasks. That's why just adding 5 more channels to a radio im already using would be nice to have and plus I wouldn't have to take one from work when we are already short on them.

As for my EFJ being part 90, im okay with "risks" of using it for GMRS part95 debate as I would rather reuse/recycle the radio in this manor and put it to use rather then have it end up being e-waste. Plus its cool to play around with odd, unique and different equipment that just... works. :)

3 hours ago, Stripes said:

The license allows 30 units total and we only have 19 radios because so many are broken, stolen and who else knows.

It sounds as if you will be in the number of units limitation on the license. Send me the call sign by private message and I'll look at the license class as there may be additional restrictions. Under part 90.35, the authorized frequency coordinators all operate with the assumption that frequencies are shared and are not exclusive. The call sign will also tell me if they are on itinerant channels or regular business band channels. Itinerant channels are primarily used for short term messaging and lower power.