Retevis RT97 GMRS Repeater

WRUG861

Question

Can anyone speak to the Machine Information settings for the Retevis RT97? There are only five fields on that setup page.

1. Relay Tail Delay:
  2. Transit Function:
  3. Squelch Level:
  4. Key Lock:
  5. Tail Tone Eliminate:

Is the Relay Tail Delay the “Squelch Tail” timer? How long the transmitter stays keyed up after the input signal stops?

Is Transit Function a misspelling of Transmit, and what would be it’s purpose?

Squelch Level seems straight forward…

What does the Key Lock function do?

What does the Tail Tone Eliminate function do?

Thanks,

Keith

WRUG861

11 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

I have two of these. I added the answers inside your quote.

3 hours ago, WRFP399 said:
  1. Relay Tail Delay: - SETS THE LENGTH THE TRANSMITTER STAYS ON AFTER THE RECEIVER CLOSES.
  2. Transit Function: - TURNS THE REPEATER FUNCTION ON OR OFF. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS EVEN EXSISTS.
  3. Squelch Level: - SETS THE RECEIVER SQUELCH LEVEL LIKE ANY OTHER RADIO. I HAVE MINE SET AT 8. ANYTHING THAT OPENS THE REVEIVER BELOW THAT LEVEL IS JUST NOISE ANYWAY.
  4. Key Lock: - LOCKS THE CHANNEL UP/DOWN KEYS ON THE "FRONT PANEL" UNDER THE DISPLAY.
  5. Tail Tone Eliminate: - SENDS A REVERSE BURST WITH THE END OF THE TRANMISSION TO TELL THE RADIOS TO CLOSE THEIR SQUELCH AND PREVENTS THE STATIC BURST.

Can any of those be remotely controlled using DTMF? Especially #2 - Transit Function?

On 11/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, WRUG861 said:

Can anyone speak to the Machine Information settings for the Retevis RT97? There are only five fields on that setup page.

1. Relay Tail Delay: - SETS THE LENGTH THE TRANSMITTER STAYS ON AFTER THE RECEIVER CLOSES.
  2. Transit Function: - TURNS THE REPEATER FUNCTION ON OR OFF. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS EVEN EXSISTS.
  3. Squelch Level: - SETS THE RECEIVER SQUELCH LEVEL LIKE ANY OTHER RADIO. I HAVE MINE SET AT 8. ANYTHING THAT OPENS THE REVEIVER BELOW THAT LEVEL IS JUST NOISE ANYWAY.
  4. Key Lock: - LOCKS THE CHANNEL UP/DOWN KEYS ON THE "FRONT PANEL" UNDER THE DISPLAY.
  5. Tail Tone Eliminate: - SENDS A REVERSE BURST WITH THE END OF THE TRANMISSION TO TELL THE RADIOS TO CLOSE THEIR SQUELCH AND PREVENTS THE STATIC BURST.

I have two of these. I added the answers inside your quote.

1 hour ago, WRUG861 said:

1. Relay Tail Delay:
  2. Transit Function:
  3. Squelch Level:
  4. Key Lock:
  5. Tail Tone Eliminate:

Seems like you could just try the repeater with different settings to determine what they do.

1. Not really sure, though length of signal after input goes quiet is sensible
  2. Probably disables transmit ability
  3. no comment
  4. Likely locks the front panel keys -- choice is manual or auto; manual requires you to use the keys to lock the keypad, auto probably locks after a period of inactivity
  5. Suspect it turns off the output tone when the input goes quiet -- so others don't hear the squelch tail.

kaf6045,

I suppose that would be one solution.

However I was hoping someone with experience with the RT97 might have already figured it all out. Actually Retevis could have done a better job with their Owner’s Manual and spent a paragraph or two giving a little explanation as to what each of the options actually does.

Thanks for replying!

Keith -WRUG861

15 hours ago, WRUG861 said:

kaf6045,

I suppose that would be one solution.

However I was hoping someone with experience with the RT97 might have already figured it all out. Actually Retevis could have done a better job with their Owner’s Manual and spent a paragraph or two giving a little explanation as to what each of the options actually does.

Thanks for replying!

Keith -WRUG861

I don’t have experience with the RT97, but I do have experience figuring out poorly written manuals.  If you list all of the options they give you as answers, that usually makes it easier to understand what the question means.

On 11/15/2022 at 1:22 AM, MichaelLAX said:

Where did you buy it?  Maybe the seller has a "cheat-sheet" for such features.

I bought it directly from Retevis. The manual is a little lacking in details and the text conversations I have had with their tech support have not been helpful.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, WRUG861 said:

1. Relay Tail Delay:
  2. Transit Function:
  3. Squelch Level:
  4. Key Lock:
  5. Tail Tone Eliminate:

Is the Relay Tail Delay the “Squelch Tail” timer? How long the transmitter stays keyed up after the input signal stops?

Is Transit Function a misspelling of Transmit, and what would be it’s purpose?

Squelch Level seems straight forward…

What does the Key Lock function do?

What does the Tail Tone Eliminate function do?

Thanks,

Keith

WRUG861

@WRUG861 Curious to know if this is the RT97S or the RT97 (no DB-9 serial port on the RT97) and if you have plans to link it via the mygmrs.com VoIP network?