How to scan only the 22 GMRS channels on a Baofeng UV-9G

WRVE426

Hi

I am a newcomer to the world of GMRS (and radios) and I have a Baofeng UV-9G (the newest version with the known issues fixed)

I would like to scan *only* the 22 GMRS channels (and not NOAA, repeater channels or DIY channels)?

How do I do that from the keyboard (I cannot use the Baofeng software since I run only GNU/Linux)?

(I will try out CHIRP in the future, but right now I rather not mess with it yet)

Also, is it true that on highways the best channel is 19 while when off-roading or on water channel 16 is considered the go to?

Thank you for any pointers

30 minutes ago, WRVE426 said:

Hi

I am a newcomer to the world of GMRS (and radios) and I have a Baofeng UV-9G (the newest version with the known issues fixed)

I would like to scan *only* the 22 GMRS channels (and not NOAA, repeater channels or DIY channels)?

Unfortunately, based upon the manual I located, the front-panel menu system does NOT include Scan-Add/Scan-Del (or Rem) capability... I don't have the unit so can't verify if Chirp supports scanning restrictions for that model.

30 minutes ago, WRVE426 said:

Also, is it true that on highways the best channel is 19 while when off-roading or on water channel 16 is considered the go to?

Thank you for any pointers

Many years ago, the FCC specified .675 PL 141.3 as a nationwide emergency/traveller assist frequency. That's Channel 20 in the unified numbering scheme that came out of the 2017 reorganization. And you'd need to try both simplex and repeater mode on .675

On 11m CB, channel 19 became a sort of standard "trucker's" channel (9 is still an FCC regulated emergency channel).

On Maritime VHF, channel 16 is the international calling/emergency channel.

However, neither of those are frequencies in common with GMRS (CB is 27MHz, Maritime VHF is 156MHz, GMRS is 462MHz). Selection of 19 or 16 is likely just based upon people knowing that 19 is the common CB road frequency (though few others are used in specific areas of the US), and Maritime 16 MUST be monitored unless one is using the radio on a different channel [after making initial contact on 16].

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

Unfortunately, based upon the manual I located, the front-panel menu system does NOT include Scan-Add/Scan-Del (or Rem) capability... I don't have the unit so can't verify if Chirp supports scanning restrictions for that model.

Many years ago, the FCC specified .675 PL 141.3 as a nationwide emergency/traveller assist frequency. That's Channel 20 in the unified numbering scheme that came out of the 2017 reorganization. And you'd need to try both simplex and repeater mode on .675

On 11m CB, channel 19 became a sort of standard "trucker's" channel (9 is still an FCC regulated emergency channel).

On Maritime VHF, channel 16 is the international calling/emergency channel.

However, neither of those are frequencies in common with GMRS (CB is 27MHz, Maritime VHF is 156MHz, GMRS is 462MHz). Selection of 19 or 16 is likely just based upon people knowing that 19 is the common CB road frequency (though few others are used in specific areas of the US), and Maritime 16 MUST be monitored unless one is using the radio on a different channel [after making initial contact on 16].

Well, off-road enthusiasts have adopted GMRS channel 16 because it's the product of 4 x 4.  That's widespread.

Highly popular YouTube Hobo (his terminology) Notarubicon has "decreed" channel 19 on GMRS as the highway frequency in a YouTube video, as discussed here:

Obviously he has no "official" standing to do that, but he's a natural leader and s a lot of people who enjoy his videos support the adoption.  Not everyone gets his humor, but personally I like it. The major reason to adopt it is the fact that the number 19 has been recognized for years in CB and GMRS is sometimes seen as CB 2.0. Unfortunately, a treaty with Canada results in a prohibition printed on all GMRS licenses against using channel 19 above Line A, which runs across top of the northern tier states and includes approximately 12 millions American citizens.  Channel 20 has no such prohibitions, but channel 20 doesn't have the recognition that Channel 19 has nor the endorsement of Randy at Notarubicon - aka @OffRoaderX on this forum. From a purely practical perspective everywhere south of Line A Channel 19 is probably the first place to visit for highway contacts. History has proven that it's always a poor bet to be ignorant of groundswell movements.

FCC no longer identifies any frequency as an emergency channel on GMRS as far as I know.

So, if you're going off-roading, Channel 16 is probably the channel you'll end up using and if you want help on the highway try either 19 or 20, whichever works.

image.thumb.jpeg.9fced9075c188f8534f4c220da880e7e.jpegHere is what it looks like in Chirp, Select the "S" under the skip column for any channel you want to skip. I also found it helpful to increase the squelch levels to cut out unwanted noise. your settings may vary from mine. I just played around to find a happy range where I am located. I hope this helps

image.thumb.jpeg.9c4ffef961b94e905d0244d55cb4bd03.jpeg

Thank you both Sshannon and WRUU653 for your replies.
I will try out Chirp next week (already downloaded the GNU/Linux version)
I am a big fan of Notarubicon, and his videos helped me pick my begnner GRMS radios: a UV-5G and one UV-9G.
I have also ordered a Wouyxun KG-UV9GX which, I hope, will allow me to try the next level up.
Thanks for all your pointers!!!

4 minutes ago, WRVE426 said:

I have also ordered a Wouyxun KG-UV9GX

That looks like a great radio. I have been contemplating that radio myself. I like the fact that it can pick up air traffic too. I'm torn between that and the KG-935G. So many people seem to like it. I don't think you can go wrong either way and hope to hear your thoughts once you got it. When I use chirp I'll download from the radio twice so I have an unchanged version should somthing go awry. I think I picked this idea up from one of Notarubicon's videos. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, WRUU653 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9fced9075c188f8534f4c220da880e7e.jpegHere is what it looks like in Chirp, Select the "S" under the skip column for any channel you want to skip. I also found it helpful to increase the squelch levels to cut out unwanted noise. your settings may vary from mine. I just played around to find a happy range where I am located. I hope this helps

Yes, that did the trick!  Under GNU/Linux CHIRP could not locate my radio on any port, but on Windows it worked fine.

thank you for this tip!!